Filter with Non-Magnetic Motor/Impeller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well they are all magnetic impellers unless you go with large size pumps like Little Giant or similar.
Any submersible will be the same style impeller/motor as the Aquaclear because that is the safest and most reliable because all the electronics are completely sealed from the water.
I'm rattling it around in my head and I really can't think of a way to design a direct drive submersible pump without it having an inherent leaking/shock risk.

The completely sealed magnetic drive pumps are absolute brainless simplicity, that's why they work so darn good and are reliable as far as the basic design, won't speak to specific manufacturers or models, but the basic concept is relatively flawless for the application it is used for.
Plus with a direct drive pump you introduce far more moving parts and potential failure points.
For the sizes/flow rates needed for small aquaria, that design is perfect because it is also self cooling/lubricating, both issues with direct drive pumps.
I'll wager you could find a small direct drive pump somewhere, but have my doubts that you will find a pre-made factory filter with a direct drive pump unless for large aquariums.
My suggestion is buy something better than an Aquaclear...I never did like that brand.

Thanks PB. I figured that was the case. What brands do you consider better than an Aquaclear? I've done a lot of research the last couple days and it seems like all the popular models have their drawbacks and mixed reviews.

Is there something you're looking for in particular when it comes to a power filter? From what I've seen in my looking around the net I decided a couple of months ago that the Fluval C series was the best I could get. Looking at all the filtration it has and how it's setup I do think it's the best power filter out there. The only problem I've had is noise, I can't tell if it's making too much, but it is a bit louder than my marineland emperor 280 from 2002 that's been in storage for 6 years.

Is there something you're looking for in particular when it comes to a power filter? From what I've seen in my looking around the net I decided a couple of months ago that the Fluval C series was the best I could get. Looking at all the filtration it has and how it's setup I do think it's the best power filter out there. The only problem I've had is noise, I can't tell if it's making too much, but it is a bit louder than my marineland emperor 280 from 2002 that's been in storage for 6 years.

I'm looking for an impeller that is actually quiet, but I realize now, that it's got to make at least a little noise, and I've also found that even a rattling Aquaclear quiets down after a few weeks if you let it get slimed up a bit. Plus it helps to lube the impeller shaft with silicone grease or vaseline.

I'm looking for an impeller that is actually quiet, but I realize now, that it's got to make at least a little noise, and I've also found that even a rattling Aquaclear quiets down after a few weeks if you let it get slimed up a bit. Plus it helps to lube the impeller shaft with silicone grease or vaseline.

Ya, I used some fish-safe silicone lube I bought online which seemed to help the fluval. What helped even more was making sure that it was completely level before starting it up. Apparently if it starts and isn't level (using the adjuster at the bottom) then leveling it afterwards doesn't correct any imbalance. I just had to stop and restart it and it was relatively quiet again (though both my filters vibrate a lot imo).

Back
Top Bottom