Filters for Betta tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azureyes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Could I get some advise on filtration for my tanks? I'm here in Japan and while most equipment is available it is hard to get good information (language and communication problems) and information on the net is contradictory. I want to set up 4 tanks (900cm x 200 x 300cm (36" x 7.5" x 11.5") or 14.5 gallons each. Tanks will be set up in my study with two adjacent for a total of 1800cm or 71" (approx length) one row on top of another. I plan to divide each tank into separate compartments for my male HM Betta's. No other fish are involved. I currently have half a dozen 12 liter individual tanks each with its own filters (outside). It's a hassle to change all these filters...let alone all the wires, etc. Also, I like to shut the filters off at night for the comfort of the fish. I don't like the way Betta's are generally handled in those confined bowls and tanks. I like for there environment to me as natural as possible

What would you suggest to filter these tanks? I can set up a siphon between the two tanks to maintain levels if it is necessary and I'm pretty good and plumbing. I'm looking for ease of maintenance, aesthetics (this is my study) and the best removal of any odors. In-tank filters distract, and require to much handling, external...the same, but better. Over the tank filters...would that create to much turbulence? There's not adjust for flow. I thought a canister might be good, perhaps with a spray bar to distribute the clean water. Not sure if they are adjustable return to keep turbulence down. I could run the filters for a few hours per day, switching between the two sets of tanks.

I would appreciate any input and suggestions you may have.

Thank you.

Lawrence
Osaka, Japan

You don't need to turn off the filters at night. Bring the water level up in the tank to reach the bottom of the filter. This will lessen water agitation and will create less current. The filter pads don't need to be replaced unless they are falling apart. I have had the same pad in my 5 gal Betta tank for about 6 months now. I rinse it occassionally, but the tank has 1 Betta so he doesn't make much of a mess. :D

BTW- Welcome to AA! :D HTH

Google "Betta Barracks" for some ideas.

I think a sump would be a great addition to your set-up; cooler would be a refugium too while breeding live food for your fish. I only understand a little about rice paddies, but think it would be neat to recreate the terraced water flow in each section.

Bettas love planted tanks. Plants are great filters, quiet, and look great in any room.

Back
Top Bottom