Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Finnex HOB Refugium

Hi all,

I've read a few posts on using this breeder box

http://www.finnex.net/index.php?page=shop....=1&Itemid=6

as a fuge and all of them end up talking about the weak flow created by the included air pump if used for macroalgaes, etc.

Has anyone used various sizes of vinyl tubing as a stepdown connection from a small water pump to the connector where the airline tubing normally connects? Seems it would work, but don't want to buy the box if someone's tried it and it causes other problems (box overflow). If it would work out, I would think this would be an excellent, affordable choice for a fuge on my 10 gallon.

Would appreciate any experiences, pump sizes or conections you've tried, or theoretical input!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #2

Anybody?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have the marina box which is basically the same thing. Yes the flow from the air pump is to slow, finnex makes a small power head that comes with an adapter to fit the tube. It puts out 40GPH and you can adjust the flow, only cost 8 bucks on the website. They also have a couple different packages of that box. I have their power head with a light on my box and it is working great so far, maxijet 600 put out way to much flow and was overflowing the box. If ya wanna use your own power head some people us ac or hydor ones that are able to be turned down. You can also try some 1/2 inch tube between the power head and the tube if ya wanna go that route.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I was thinking about getting this and using it as a HOB fuge. Does anyone know how much clearance behind my tank I will need in order to fit it in? I've seen the dimensions of the box online but I don't know if that includes the part that sits on the rim/inside of the tank.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I never measured mine but i would guess the box is right around 5 inches wide not counting the part that hangs over the tank.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #6

I just measured the one I bought from a fellow nanoreefer and it's 4 3/8" from the back edge of the tank when it's hung.

Tags
hob, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com