Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-14-2003, 10:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Fish/Filter for 29gal

What about this fish list?
School of cardinals (how many can/should I keep to see schooling?)
2 kribs
4 corys
6 platys
possibly 2 clown loaches or a RTS?

Filter choices:
HOT Magnum
Penguin Bio-wheel 170

Anything else? And also, if I can't fit enough cardinals to see schooling, is there another fish that would be a nice addition in place of some of the cardinals? I dont know if this matters, but the cardinals are tank raised. How often/qty of water changes should I do?

Treevore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What kind of water do you have? The Cardinals and Kribs need very soft, acidic water. Keith

KP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 10:32 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
True, although they can adapt and live in 7.0 water that isn't too hard. They will now show their best colors though. I would go with at least 6 Cardinals for a good schooling effect. I would also not put the Platys in with them as they do best in harder water with a higher pH (about 7.5). They can also adapt to 7.0 water though. I think the fish you have listed are about all I would want to load a 29 g tank with...not counting the clown loaches. JMO about substituting something for the platys...I'd go with some other small-med tetra or rasbora.
Again, IMO, the Penguin 170 is marginal for a 29. Yes, it will do the job, but just barely. The HOT magnum is a great filter and more than enough for a 29, however it lacks a good biological capability unless you add a Pro 30 Bio Wheel setup to it. I've used this setup for years on a 55 with good results. My choice for a 29 in a hang on filter would be an Emperor 280. I feel these are superior to the Penguins. We have some at the store that have been running trouble free for over 4 years.
As to the water changes, I do about 15% every two weeks on my FW tanks. You could go 20-25% a month if you wanted, but you'll have to add some to make up water to account for evaporation. I think the more frequent changes are better for the fish, but I know many folks who change once a month and have no trouble. Hope this helps some.
Logan J
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 01:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Got water 7.5ºph and 10 cardinals for a long time.
Great fish! Fabulous colours!
My 5 Tetra Neon school with them.
Stressed? Get an aquarium!
BlowFish is offline   Reply With Quote

29 gallon, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com