Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #1

Fluorescent or Incandescent?

Right now, an Aqueon fluorescent light strip is illuminating my 60-gallon goldfish tank beneath its wooden canopy, but for some reason, I just don't like the way it makes the tank look...it's like not soft or relaxing enough to look at -- like the tank is under those bright lights of a department store.

Would I be better off switching to an incandescent hood and bulb? I do not have any live plants in my tank, so would heat buildup matter? The light wouldn't be on much during a given day, anyway. Would incandescent give a more natural, real-habitat look to the aquarium and its inhabitants?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would just buy a soft white temperature bulb if you feel it's too bright.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:16 AM   #3

Different color bulbs would probably do the trick.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyblevins View Post
i would just buy a soft white temperature bulb if you feel it's too bright.
You mean, like an ordinary light bulb intensity bulb? Where can I find one of these for the hood?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

No it just puts off I softer color light not really less light. But if you have a 4 ft t8 fixture a lot of places sale them home depot/ lowes are the two I know. Walmart may have a couple.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
Different color bulbs would probably do the trick.
What do you mean...what do you suggest? I want a kind of soft, natural light scheme to make it look more like a real habitat...
Old 10-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #7

Quote:
No it just puts off I softer color light not really less light. But if you have a 4 ft t8 fixture a lot of places sale them home depot/ lowes are the two I know. Walmart may have a couple.
What would be the best approach for a real natural-looking light scheme...not an incandescent?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

well i'm not really sure what you mean by more natural-looking. i've never been underwater looking at the fish in their natural habitat so i don't know what's more natural.. but 6500k lighting is closer to sunlight than the soft whites. which light do you have now?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
What would be the best approach for a real natural-looking light scheme...
"Natural-looking" is totally subjective. What might be natural to me might not be natural to you. Best bet is to change the color temperature of the tube you're currently using. The higher the number, the bluer the light. As Jeremy mentioned, a 6500K bulb will have a more yellow look versus a 10000k bulb... which I'm guessing you have now.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #10

Quote:
well i'm not really sure what you mean by more natural-looking. i've never been underwater looking at the fish in their natural habitat so i don't know what's more natural.. but 6500k lighting is closer to sunlight than the soft whites. which light do you have now?
I suppose what I am trying to describe is the look from a standard incandescent bulb -- something that just gives a less "cold, bluish" hue to the light and subsequently tank, if that makes any sense.

What I'm using now is an Aqueon fluorescent light strip which spits out a ridiculously bluish/whitish hue. It just makes the tank less relaxing to watch, if you can understand that; it's too sterile and cold looking.

Tags
fluorescent

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com