Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fluval 404 Issues

This thing is driving me mad. Firstly, it's leaking. Is there supposed to be a gap between the top portion of the filter and the bottom part (where you clip it)? It seems impossible to get down all the way without a gap. It's leaking from the left clip...never noticed it before.

Next, it won't push water through the output. I filled it up all the way, did the little primer knob as it was plugged in, and still nothing. I hear water swishing around in it, but no water is coming out.

What do I do??? I miss my Rena XP3, the thing was so simple to use.

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
I have a 404 and I have about a 1mm gap between the top motor portion and the bottom canister. I've never had it leak from one of the handles .... yet ... cross my fingers .. lol.

I had this happen the last time I did filter maintenance, turns out for me ... the nozzles were not into the openings all the way. Disconnect them and reinsert ... that did the trick for me.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My gap is a lot larger than a mm. Why can't I get any water coming through the outtake?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I just discovered a POSSIBLE issue. One of the clips on the impeller housing cover is missing. I didn't even realize...every time I unclip the motor unit, the impeller cover is half open. So air, or something, must be preventing it from going in. Now, I have to order a stupid part. I really think I'm just going to buy two AC-70's and sell this. I don't have time to wait for a part and this filter is really ____ me off.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

May sound like a silly question ... are the media baskets and the pad holder set in right .... when I did my filter maintenance, I put the pad holder upside down and I remember the top portion would not fit right ... I literally started to force it down
.... thankfully I decided to recheck the interior.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, everything is put in correctly. Still a no go
Old 05-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
Well, I just discovered a POSSIBLE issue. One of the clips on the impeller housing cover is missing. I didn't even realize...every time I unclip the motor unit, the impeller cover is half open. So air, or something, must be preventing it from going in. Now, I have to order a stupid part. I really think I'm just going to buy two AC-70's and sell this. I don't have time to wait for a part and this filter is really ____ me off.
Sorry to hear that .... I had the shaft that goes through the impeller break and that dumb thing as $12.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hagen Fluval 304/404/305/405 replacement Impeller Cover

$9 alone for that thing. I'm going to set this filter aside for a bit and just go the dual HOB route for now. Not in the mood to deal with this! Ha
Old 05-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

That's entirely too much... I paid $3 for mine, and got a few extras to keep around. You're gonna have to put a little effort in here, don't just give up. You need to have the intake hose full of water, so you may need to suck on the end to get it started, then close the valve once it starts coming out. Hook it up, turn it on. If it still isn't pumping, tilt the filter forward a bit. It'll spit out the air bubbles and start pumping.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
That's entirely too much... I paid $3 for mine, and got a few extras to keep around. You're gonna have to put a little effort in here, don't just give up. You need to have the intake hose full of water, so you may need to suck on the end to get it started, then close the valve once it starts coming out. Hook it up, turn it on. If it still isn't pumping, tilt the filter forward a bit. It'll spit out the air bubbles and start pumping.
Only giving up for now because I've been setting up this tank since 9:30 this morning. But, what we did do, is try it in the bath tub and we got it rolling...we did the primer as the motor was clicking and it started a flow. Still, though, there is a leak from the clips. Going to have to solve that, later.

Tags
fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com