Fluval 404 Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
This thing is driving me mad. Firstly, it's leaking. Is there supposed to be a gap between the top portion of the filter and the bottom part (where you clip it)? It seems impossible to get down all the way without a gap. It's leaking from the left clip...never noticed it before.

Next, it won't push water through the output. I filled it up all the way, did the little primer knob as it was plugged in, and still nothing. I hear water swishing around in it, but no water is coming out.

What do I do??? I miss my Rena XP3, the thing was so simple to use.

I have a 404 and I have about a 1mm gap between the top motor portion and the bottom canister. I've never had it leak from one of the handles .... yet ... cross my fingers .. lol.

I had this happen the last time I did filter maintenance, turns out for me ... the nozzles were not into the openings all the way. Disconnect them and reinsert ... that did the trick for me.(y)

My gap is a lot larger than a mm. Why can't I get any water coming through the outtake?

Well, I just discovered a POSSIBLE issue. One of the clips on the impeller housing cover is missing. I didn't even realize...every time I unclip the motor unit, the impeller cover is half open. So air, or something, must be preventing it from going in. Now, I have to order a stupid part. I really think I'm just going to buy two AC-70's and sell this. I don't have time to wait for a part and this filter is really ____ me off.

May sound like a silly question ... are the media baskets and the pad holder set in right .... when I did my filter maintenance, I put the pad holder upside down:facepalm: and I remember the top portion would not fit right:nono: ... I literally started to force it down:banghead:
.... thankfully I decided to recheck the interior.

Well, I just discovered a POSSIBLE issue. One of the clips on the impeller housing cover is missing. I didn't even realize...every time I unclip the motor unit, the impeller cover is half open. So air, or something, must be preventing it from going in. Now, I have to order a stupid part. I really think I'm just going to buy two AC-70's and sell this. I don't have time to wait for a part and this filter is really ____ me off.

Sorry to hear that .... I had the shaft that goes through the impeller break and that dumb thing as $12.

That's entirely too much... I paid $3 for mine, and got a few extras to keep around. You're gonna have to put a little effort in here, don't just give up. You need to have the intake hose full of water, so you may need to suck on the end to get it started, then close the valve once it starts coming out. Hook it up, turn it on. If it still isn't pumping, tilt the filter forward a bit. It'll spit out the air bubbles and start pumping.

That's entirely too much... I paid $3 for mine, and got a few extras to keep around. You're gonna have to put a little effort in here, don't just give up. You need to have the intake hose full of water, so you may need to suck on the end to get it started, then close the valve once it starts coming out. Hook it up, turn it on. If it still isn't pumping, tilt the filter forward a bit. It'll spit out the air bubbles and start pumping.

Only giving up for now because I've been setting up this tank since 9:30 this morning. But, what we did do, is try it in the bath tub and we got it rolling...we did the primer as the motor was clicking and it started a flow. Still, though, there is a leak from the clips. Going to have to solve that, later.

I have a couple of 404's running and as time passed they all started to leak around the handles, I tried new o-rings, new handles, and Vaseline around the seal but couldn't get it to stop leaking. The 404's cover doesn't latch like my new 405's so this was the final fix, easy install converting to the new case with the locking handles and hasn't leaked in over a year.

Fluval 404 405 Replacement Canister RETROFIT KIT A20178 | eBay

The fluval 404 was the worse filter fluval made the 5 series covered all the problem the series 4 had I had a 404 and I did everything until it stopped working so I said to my self im married i don't have kids my fish are my kids so I want the best for them so I went out and bought a fluval g6 it was the best thing I did.

Back
Top Bottom