Fluval Aquaclear 50 won't staet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david1764

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased two of these filters. One worked as soon as I plugged it in, the other won't work at all.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

I'm hoping that it is a setting set wrong. The LFS is about 40 miles (40 miles = 64.4 km) each way.which is why I haven't exchanged it

Thankhs,
David1764

Your Hagen AC Filter

I purchased two of these filters. One worked as soon as I plugged it in, the other won't work at all.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

I'm hoping that it is a setting set wrong. The LFS is about 40 miles (40 miles = 64.4 km) each way.which is why I haven't exchanged it

Thankhs,
David1764

Hello dave...

Remove the motor by twisting it to the left, that would be clockwise. Inside the motor is a small propeller like piece. Pull it out and scrub it well with a bottle brush preferably or use a small toothbrush. If you have a brush that will easily fit into the space that holds the propeller, then scrub the inside area too.

Once everything is well scrubbed, replace the propeller and put the motor back in place. It helps if the top with the rubber ring is wet. Make sure the rubber is up against the plastic and hang the filter back on the tank. Replace the filter cage and media and fill it with some of your replacement water. Just plug it back in the outlet.

B

I have this problem with my aquaclears and C-Series HOB filters too.. sometimes you just have to give a gentle nudge to the impeller. I use a long wooden skewer stick. Basically, move the inflow pipe by adjusting the flow rate until you can visually see the white impeller blades. While the unit is plugged and with water in the filter for priming, stick the skewer to nudge the impeller until you hear/feel it get started.

I have this problem with my aquaclears and C-Series HOB filters too.. sometimes you just have to give a gentle nudge to the impeller. I use a long wooden skewer stick. Basically, move the inflow pipe by adjusting the flow rate until you can visually see the white impeller blades. While the unit is plugged and with water in the filter for priming, stick the skewer to nudge the impeller until you hear/feel it get started.

I do the same exact thing, it's a glorious sound when the impellar kicks in!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah when I first got my AC filter, it wouldn't start again after I unplugged and cleaned my tank. I seriously thought it was broken. I thought it was an isolated incident with my unit. Then I googled around to discover the solution.. Then when I got another AC filter and then a C2 for my other tanks, I encountered this again.. so based on my experience with all Hagen's filters coupled with my search, it seems this is quite a common issue. So much so that I think they should have included it in the instructions nice and bold.. Maybe in troubleshooting or something? Unless it's there and I haven't seen it.. (I hardly read instructions..more like glance)! Haha

I can see it now..un-boxing your brand new hagen filter and wondering what exactly the BBQ skewer is for?!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom