fluval c3 or eheim 2213 ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ginty

Aquarium Advice Freak
which is better for a 110litre tank?
or other suggestions are welcomed. not too expensive though. ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have two C3 over 29g and I want to add Eheim 2213...

Only one 2213 isn't enough for 110L. Maybe 2215 or even better 2217.

More filtration = better.

I was either gonna get two C3's or a 2213 for my 29g. I ended up just getting the 2213. It keeps my tank clear and stable... And I ended up having to drill the spray bar holes bigger, to cut down on the current it was making. (i eventually got the spray bar and intake kit, to get rid of the green)

I was either gonna get two C3's or a 2213 for my 29g. I ended up just getting the 2213. It keeps my tank clear and stable... And I ended up having to drill the spray bar holes bigger, to cut down on the current it was making. (i eventually got the spray bar and intake kit, to get rid of the green)

is the eheim any good?
and where do you keep yours?
i.e underneath the tank in a cupboard??

I have two C3 over 29g and I want to add Eheim 2213...

Only one 2213 isn't enough for 110L. Maybe 2215 or even better 2217.

More filtration = better.

thankyou for your reply.
it says it is for up to 200litre. i thought this would be plenty for my 110l as it is 80litres over.
should i go even more over?

thankyou for your reply.
it says it is for up to 200litre. i thought this would be plenty for my 110l as it is 80litres over.
should i go even more over?
Everything that they say it's true only a half. And the performance of any filter reduced over the time. My first C3 is slower than my second C3. And when it becomes dirt - than even worse .

So, buy something like 2215, or 2217 even better.

Everything that they say it's true only a half. And the performance of any filter reduced over the time. My first C3 is slower than my second C3. And when it becomes dirt - than even worse .

thankyou for the tip. :)

I have a C4 on my 29 gallon tank. If you get a C3, you'll have to buy the extension tube for $8 ...... so you might as well spend just a small amount more and get the bigger unit. It has an adjustable flow rate. I had a C3 on there previously (moved it to another tank) and it kept the tank crystal clear .... but needed changes of mechanical media more often. The chemical chamber of the C4 is awesome size ....... I suggest Seachem Purigen for chemical filtration. I also keep seachem matrix & floss in there.

is the eheim any good?
and where do you keep yours?
i.e underneath the tank in a cupboard??

I have to much junk under the tank to keep it there, so I just keep it on the side of my tank. If I didn't have anything under there it would fit, but i guess it'll depend on how tall the cut-out of your cabinet is.
I've only had it on my tank for about a year, and it's still going strong... If you're gonna have your tank heavily stocked, I'd probably get the 2215 or some C3/C4 combo, but the 2213 is working for me. I just clean out the 2213, to replace the filter floss, about every 3-4 weeks; but getting the air our of the eheim can be frustrating, if you have ADD like me... that being said, I'm happy with it.

I have to much junk under the tank to keep it there, so I just keep it on the side of my tank. If I didn't have anything under there it would fit, but i guess it'll depend on how tall the cut-out of your cabinet is.
I've only had it on my tank for about a year, and it's still going strong... If you're gonna have your tank heavily stocked, I'd probably get the 2215 or some C3/C4 combo, but the 2213 is working for me. I just clean out the 2213, to replace the filter floss, about every 3-4 weeks; but getting the air our of the eheim can be frustrating, if you have ADD like me... that being said, I'm happy with it.

when you say getting the air out what do you mean? and when this happens how do you get the air out?
sorry im new and have upgraded to juwel 110litre from a 30litre, which had an internal filter. so externals are new to me.

when you say getting the air out what do you mean? and when this happens how do you get the air out?
sorry im new and have upgraded to juwel 110litre from a 30litre, which had an internal filter. so externals are new to me.

I only get air in the eheim when I have to open it up. With air in the can you wont really get proper flow, and it'll run noisy. To get it out, you just have to gently shake and tilt it around... it can take several minutes.

If you're really set on getting the 2213 and a supplementary filter, then that 2012 could work in helping the 2213's mechanical filtration (Which I will agree with that article Sf1 linked, is a weakness... but I do pwc's about every 3 days, cause thats when my water level starts to get below where I want it, so I never really get build up in my tank..., but biologically the 2213 should be sufficient). I wouldn't bother with that HOB, but I just don't like dealing with cartridges. Maybe just get the 2213 first, see how it works for you, then get an additional filter?

However, if I was worried the 2213 wouldn't be enough, then I'd just get the 2215 (or 2217 if you're gonna have goldfish or something with a huge bio-load). Then if need be, drill some or all the holes on the spray bar larger to get the current that works for your fish.
Personally I think the 2213's 'media basket' is a waste of space, and I removed it and put in the lattice screens all the other models have. It increased the cans capacity so you could put more stuff in it, but obviously it's still gonna have about the same flow rate.

I just ordered Eheim 2215 for my 29g already with two C3.

I'll fit it with Matrix, Filter Floss and 100g bag of Purigen.

I've noticed that as well. I have 2 c3's on my 38 gallon + 1 aquaclear 50 ...... so I've got plenty of filtration going. Despite delivering crystal clear polished water, I must say those things do get filthy and seem to need almost a complete "teardown" every six to eight months.

The things that surprised me most are:

1) Even with pre-filter, impeller gets clogged with "goo" and motor won't restart if turned off after a few months .... must remove motor and clean with Q-Tip.

2) the bio-screen above the trickle chamber gets completely clogged in a about two months and makes water bypass the trickle chamber. I really had to rub the heck out of them to get all the dirt out and was shocked at how caked they became. I am thinking the water that flows from atop the trickle chamber is unfiltered aquarium water and not water that has passed through the mechanical chamber. Do you agree?

I need to clean impeller every month. If not my filters become very slow...

Bio-screen is the worst part ever, I clean it every second day. Maybe some water bypass the mechanical filtration? But there is no big debris, only the brown algae and tannins.

Two C3 isn't enough for 29g planted and you need to clean it every 2-3 days... So I decided to add a canister.

Eheim the only company that give you GPH rate data for the filter with full of media.

Back
Top Bottom