Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I have never purchased a cannister filter with media unless the media was used. As a cheap alternative to bio balls, I use plastic kitchen scrubbers, pot scrubbers that is. Works just as well and are $1 for 3 here.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:22 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

If the FX5 has sensors i would like to know why it worked while the motor was removed? I dont think they have done anything but change where the water is pumped from( if the motor is in the top it's more likely to stop circulating from an air pocket) And add a simple timer to turn off every 24hrs, i dont think there is any fancy technology advancements as you put it.
And yes the canister was full when i plugged it in.
If you get a chance to look inside 1 of these beasts you will notice a breather on the inside of the lid, this allows any air within the unit to escape through the outlet. Because the motor is in the bottom its always submerged. The motor pushes the water up through a tube to witch the breather is attached, therefore sucking any air from the top of the unit out on its way back to the tank.
As far as the cost of filter media, i probably wont have to replace the bio balls that cost 10c each. There isn't as much room in the centre stack anyway for many bio balls or noodles as say a AQUA 1 CF1200. however the foam surface area is amazing. The replacement foam pads cost around $20 for 3 of the 6 that are in the unit. for 3 polishing pads it was about $15 AU.
I actually use the pot scrubbers in my small in tank power head canisters. they are alot cheaper!

Old 04-27-2006, 06:10 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fluval x5

The Fluval will not pump until the canister has completed the priming sequence. I work at an independant Pet Store and have recieved one of the fx5 product training and demonstrations by the hagen staff. You always do have the warranty. The circuit must be closed.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I posted this in the other FX5 topic. I have been told that the first batch of FX5 that were produced had a problem with the timer/computer. I have taken mine back to the shop and am currently waiting for my replacement!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

great

Great. I'm glad your fx5 is being fixed or replaced. Hope everything turns out great. =0)

Tags
fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com