Freshwater Aquarium Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jazzy cap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I'm trying to find out about the best heaters for my 10 and 5 gallon tanks. I almost lost a whole aquarium of Tangerine Tiger shrimp when my Tetra 50 heater malfunctioned and heated my water to 87 degrees instead of shutting off at 78 degrees! Now I am very leery about the Tetra heaters that I am still using! Please advise me as to the safest aquarium heaters to use on a 10 and 5 gallon tank. Thanks so much!

:thanks:
Jazzy cap

Get a heater controller or DIY one and any heater will work with no worries .

I like using the Aqueon adjustable heaters. I have one in my ten gallon quarantine tank and it works quite well.

I have four eheim heaters and they work well ...competitively priced and quality manufacturing

I'm using a tetra heaterthat isn't adjustable, it's permanently set to 80f. Since its still winter for me. The tank stays circulating between 78 and 80 depending on where in the tank you check. Its pretty large profile, which I'm not a huge fan of. It was like $7 on amazon so I got it and it's been working thus far, but I'm thinking of replacing it with something smaller.

I've got it in a 5 gallon as well.

Sorry for your loss. I know how frustrating that can be. (And, as I recall, those Tetras have a bunch of lousy reviews at Amazon.)

I second the recommendation for a separate temperature controller - even the best heater can fail and get "stuck on."

Back
Top Bottom