From 29 Gallon to 14 Gallon Bio Cube or 12 Gallon Nano Cube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTrav13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 29 gallon long right now but I'm downgrading because I live in a college apartment and it's just too big. I want something a little more simple because I'm starting my master's program and simply don't have the time for the upkeep on my 29 gallon as I used to. Also, it's become quite costly, and my lights are soon to expire and I can't afford new ones. I've put some money aside to invest in a nano reef. In my 29 gallon, I currently have:

Lighting:
24" Nova Extreme 4x24watt (5 Months Old 3/7/11)
T5HO 2-10k/2-460nm actinics
96w total wattage
Filtration:
CPR Bak Pak 2R Protein Skimmer
- Replaced Powerhead (3/12/2011)
35lbs of Live Rock
Live Sand 2-3 inches sand bed
1 coralife cp750 powerhead (750 gph)
1 aquaclear 30 (175 gph)
Fish:
2 black clownfish
1 Mandarin Goby
6-Line Wrasse
Inverts:
5 Nassareus Snails
1 Peppermint Shrimp
3 Turbo Snails
1 Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber

1 coral banded shrimp

Flame Scallop
Emerald Crab
Corals:
1 Mushroom Red
2 Green Mushrooms
2 Nuclear Mushrooms
Pagoda Cup Coral
3 colonies of Green Star Polyps
1 Frogspawn with 2 Heads
1 colony candy apple coral
1 colony green bay packer coral

Other:
Heater
Thermometer

The lighting specs are my biggest concern and how hot the tank gets is also another concern of mine.

The JBJ comes with:
Includes (2) 24 watt CF lamps with a durable (Fulham - UL Approved) remote electronic ballast w/ disconnect cable. Offered with our powerful 50/50 lamps for marine tanks and 6500K daylight for planted tanks. Both lamps include UL Approved German "Snap-In" lamp sockets for easy bulb install and removals. Installed with splash guard lens for lamp protection.

The 14g Bio Cube comes with:
1 420nm Actinic 24 W PC / 1 1000k 24 W PC

I'd like to be able to keep all my corals and both clown fish. Anyone have any suggestions on which one to go with, which lighting is better for the corals I have? Which is easier to maintain?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom