Fx5 troubles again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
So that noise came back, my mother in law called me to tell me the tank was making a loud humming sound. I come home an there's water shooting out of the canister!!

Where the top meets the main part. All knobs have been tightened down as much as possible. What could be causing this?

Water everywhere, what a mess. I just cleaned it the other day and cleaned the impeller etc.

Tech support is closed. I'm gonna take it all apart now.

Sharkbait54 said:
The only thing I can think of is the impeller!

I'm taking it apart again, I just found something. Not sure if this is the root of the issue. One of the clamps is stripped. It won't tighten down. Air getting in?

Water is coming out of that one side, also water all over the bottom of the stand. What a mess!! What a mess!! Off to Home Depot for a new nut and bolt do the clamp.

Yep I was gonna ask if you put the top on level. That's weird it stripped but ow well easy fix. I don't know if that's what making the noise though!

Sharkbait54 said:
Yep I was gonna ask if you put the top on level. That's weird it stripped but ow well easy fix. I don't know if that's what making the noise though!

Yeah me either lol. Hopefully it's one in the same. I hope!

Well maybe.... Since its not level cause of the raised side the impeller level maybe Tilted to one side and the impeller pressure is making the noise:

Wow, my used 80gal tank came with one of those canisters and we had the same problem, first the noise and then the clamp. Im quite leery of leaving the house for fear of a flood some day. I think Ill stick with the top filters.

Sharkbait54 said:
Well maybe.... Since its not level cause of the raised side the impeller level maybe Tilted to one side and the impeller pressure is making the noise:

Yeah that makes sense.

Tammy1964 said:
Wow, my used 80gal tank came with one of those canisters and we had the same problem, first the noise and then the clamp. Im quite leery of leaving the house for fear of a flood some day. I think Ill stick with the top filters.

Just fix the clamp and your good to go. It's not easy as I'm finding out its metric and a uncommon size. I'll make it work though.

canister trouble

I must have a different problem as the part thats broken on my canister is plastic and is what holds the top on the unit.

Tammy1964 said:
I must have a different problem as the part thats broken on my canister is plastic and is what holds the top on the unit.

The little knobs? Because that's what it was with mine. The nut and bolt in inside the plastic knob stripped. I got a new nut and bolt and now it tightened down just fine.

Convict2161 said:
The little knobs? Because that's what it was with mine. The nut and bolt in inside the plastic knob stripped. I got a new nut and bolt and now it tightened down just fine.

Is it still making the noise or did that fix it up!

No noise since I fixed the knob and tighten that end down real good.

I ended up replacing all the hardware for each knob. I found a flaw with the fx5, those knobs strip easily if your not carful BUT you need to tighten it down really good. As soon as you tighten it good it pops!! An the threads are DOA. I bought stainless steel bolts with the nuts that have the rubber gasket in them and tightened them all down really really good. So far it's better then ever.

I bet air was getting in and causing it to malfunction. I called the company today an explained what had happened there sending me 10 new knobs.

I'd call that good customer service however I told them it would be nice if they fixed the flaw. I can't be the only one this has happened to either that or I don't know my own strength lol.

Yep thats the thing! Great, I didn't think it could be fixed. Probably have to call the manufacturer to replace it because I am definitely nut, bolt and tool illiterate! Thanks

Tammy1964 said:
Yep thats the thing! Great, I didn't think it could be fixed. Probably have to call the manufacturer to replace it because I am definitely nut, bolt and tool illiterate! Thanks

I would be more then happy to tell you exactly what you need to get. PM me.

image-1603958868.jpg

You can see the difference.

Attachments

• image-3421076887.jpg
    image-3421076887.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Sharkbait54 said:
Do you mind posting the info here convict. I would love to have information on hand.

Sure no problem!! Lemme find the receipt tomorrow morning and I'll post the type of nut and bolt I bought.

It was a simple swap from the old flimsy nut and bolt that it came with. Poor quality and replaced with nice stainless steel hardware. The bolt is a little longer then stock and like I said the nut has that rubber gasket inside so it won strip.

I'll post the size tomorrow I don't remember off hand but it fit like a glove.

EDIT:

I also just posted pics of the new hardware and the old hardware.

Back
Top Bottom