Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2005, 10:51 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another Fluval 404 lover here. I have two on a 55gal tropical, just ordered another for a 55 gal goldfish tank. Never had an Eheim, but the Eheim bio-substrate has been highly recommended to me.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well.....its me again - the mixed up filter guy from previous posts.

I have decided on going with a canister filter for my 65 or 70g tank which will be purchased this week-end.

My choices are narrowed down between the Fluval 404 or the Rena XP3. Both are pretty much the same gph and price. Anyone have an opinion (or facts) regarding these two? (I have heard that there may be a by-pass concern/issue with the Fluval and that the Rena is VERY EASY to maintain but could be noisier?)

Thanks in advance!
Alan

2 Striped Angels
1 Pearl Angel
6 Rummynose Tetra's
3 Long finned Rams
2 Clown Loaches
4 Cory's
1 Gold Nugget Pleco
apotocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:01 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I don't think my XP3 is "noisy" like I have read in reviews of it, but I don't know of any filter that will be as quiet as an Eheim. Any canister is going to be quieter than a HOB, IMO, if only for the ability to eliminate splashing noise. My XP is not as noisy as an air pump.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Gordinho80
picked up a sponge prefilter, gonna see if this help in preventing my fish loss...

thanks...
Mario
Old 01-26-2005, 06:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

TankGirl - What size 'tank' do you have the XP3 on?
Also - I understand there are 6 media 'baskets', what do you put in all yours?
I can understand the pads/foam and ceramic rings for bio....but what is put in the remaining baskets? (carbon for one?)and maybe load up two for bio? I think that still leaves a bit of space.

Alan
2 Striped Angels
1 Pearl Angel
6 Rummynose Tetra's
3 Long finned Rams
2 Clown Loaches
4 Cory's
1 Gold Nugget Pleco
apotocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:24 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

My XP3 is on my 55gal. There are actually three media baskets. The bottom basket contains coarse sponges stacked together, actually two very coarse and two very slightly finer, but still reusable. The middle basket contains ceramic noodles in mine, as well as a mesh media bag of crushed coral to boost my KH (heavily planted CO2 injected high-light tank - most folks don't require this) and the third basket contains floss.

Each basket has a divider, which you could use to divide each basket up for a total of six compartments, but who needs that many different types of media? Carbon is not necessary, and it is no longer effective after about 5-7 days, so I don't use it. If you have room, I'd add more biomedia, like bio-balls, or Eheim ehfisubstrat.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 02:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to KaiserFish
I own a Fluval 404 and an Eheim Pro II, and to be honest... aside from the Eheim definitely being quieter, I've so far been quite impressed with the reliability from the fluval.

Note: the 404 is under a closed cabinet, so I don't hear it anyways. I'd also change out the ribbed tubing for a solid tube.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:42 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

In all my canisters, there is only ceramic media in the baskets. The Fluvals have sponges standing up on the side of the baskets.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:36 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to KaiserFish
But thats its design... the water is supposed to travel down the bottom (due to new water from the tank pushing the water just entering the chamber down the column. And then supposedly work itself back up on the filtration side of the baskets. Works fairly well, but with the sponges open at the top of the canister, a percentage of the water obviously doesnt pass the media and just does a quick in and out.

I fixed this somewhat by attaching a piece of plastic to the top of the sponge holder so that the water cant bypass the sponges (as much, since its not a perfect fit).

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com