Goldfish tank questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I'm JUST starting to research setting up a goldfish tank. I won't be
ready for it for a few months but wanted to do plenty of research first.

Questions:
I have a 20 gallon high and a 20 gallon long that were given to me.
Is there a choice that goldfish would prefer? Tall or long?

More questions: I'm planning on only having 1 goldfish. Any recommendations of breed/type? I like the look of the fantails, but are they a good choice for a beginner? Are they okay with being "an only fish"? Or would it require a goldfish sibling?

And more questions: I understand filtration is important. I currently have a Quietflow filter that goes up to a 30 gallon tank. Is that enough? If not, would adding an under gravel filter as well be a good idea? Or should I add another power filter?

Finally, a few more questions: Would I need to have some sort of bottom feeder? If so, what would you recommend? I'm not familiar with a fish that could handle such cool water. Or are snails my only choice? I don't care for snails so another recommendation is welcome. Or I'd be happy to do without if possible.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. ;o)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Almost all fish prefer the longer tanks, because it has more space to swim horizontally. Fantails are probably one of the best for beginners, along with common, comet, shubunkin, and ryukin. Goldfish can be kept alone, but they are rather social, so another one might be nice. (Just don't overdo it, 20 gallons are pretty small for goldfish) You can just feed them regular goldfish flakes or pellets. If you already have two goldfish, I wouldn't add much else. (Plus, the goldfish might eat smaller fish) However, if you decide not to do goldfish, you can have multiple groups of smaller fish. A good fish for an aquarium like this is the gold barb, which is similar in appearance to a tiny goldfish, is relatively hardy, and will tolerate temperatures as low as 60-something degrees. I hope this helps, please correct any misinformation.

Sent from my iPhone

Also a 20g is too small. A single Fancy should be in a 29g minimum and I'd do a 40-55g and get 2.

Plan on a Canister filter. You want one that runs 4x the tank size per hour at least.

They need space to grow. They grow FAST. And they need Clean Water...so big tanks and big filters.

This thread has good info.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

YouTube user Solid Gold has some great Goldfish vids.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom