Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright. I can do that. As long as I don't have to fix 8 ppm ammonia ever again, I will be content. Lol.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Extremely stupid question. Should I take the bottom off the filter and clean it even though I just put in a new cartridge to get seeded last night? Or should I wait a few days? I need to do a water change. I accidentally massively overfed yesterday (fasting today as a result) and so there is now a ton of fish poop everywhere. I was gonna clean the intake thing when I did a water change, but with just adding a new filter cartridge, I'm not sure I should right away.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't clean the filter right away if you already did a thorough cleaning before adding the new filter stuff. Just do a vacuuming and water change. I have been guilty of over feeding myself.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't cleaned the intake thing yet. I just put in the new cartridge. The outflow has slowed down, but I think that's from having more stuff packed in there. It's a tight fit. I might take the bioscrubber out and when I take the old cartridge out and put the sponge in also put the scrubber back. Or would this cause a worse recycle?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #45

Betta Gal,

If you're on a budget, you can do little better than an AQUEON:

www.aqueonproducts.com

Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Take all the material out of the filter. If the sponge you are using is more than 1/2 inch thick, get a razor blade, knife, or you could use scissors and reduce the thickness to around 1/2 inch. It doesn't have to be perfect. Put the sponge back in first. Then put your new filter media. Next put your old filter media. If all of the old media won't fit, trim it down until you have some room behind everything for water movement. It will reduce your water flow and some may spill over the sides. If it is not too much I wouldn't worry about it. Take any old filter media you have left and put it behind the canister under water. Any bacteria on it should remain and some will get sucked into the filter and help reseed it. Wait a few weeks until your Nitrate starts to climb. Remove a little of the old filter media. Wait a week and remove some more until all the old is out. You should be good to go.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
I don't think they are expensive filters.
Amazon.com: AquaClear 20 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed (Includes AquaClear 20 Carbon, AquaClear 20 Foam & AquaClear 20 BioMax): Pet Supplies
20 bucks on amazon with free shipping if you can spend 5 bucks more. I find that aqueon filters are okay filters, and half the price as well, but their filter pads are garbage. You can go with one of those but use whatever media you like. Aqueon 10 and aquaclear 20 both have the same GPH.
Of course they are not expensive when they are in sale! Otherwise they are expensive.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dirty View Post
Of course they are not expensive when they are in sale! Otherwise they are expensive.
I agree; while excellent and respected filters, the AquaClears are never the ones -- especially large models like the 110 -- I recommend to those looking to spend the least amount of dough on filtration...

Additionally -- I have to say I disagree wholeheartedly with oka, who you quoted in your reply, in regard to his/her assesment of Aqueon pads/cartridges being "garbage"...
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey, we all have our opinions. I just find that for what you're getting, the price isn't worth it. I prefer to just stick in some sponge and some filter floss (and carbon only if I needed it) so that I wouldn't have to replace the pads, because IME they clogged really quickly and I found myself spending a lot of money replacing them. And I don't need to run any carbon either, and with the pads you don't get the option.

And in reply to Uncle Dirty, those prices on Amazon are the actual prices of aquaclears. They aren't on sale there.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
Hey, we all have our opinions. I just find that for what you're getting, the price isn't worth it. I prefer to just stick in some sponge and some filter floss (and carbon only if I needed it) so that I wouldn't have to replace the pads, because IME they clogged really quickly and I found myself spending a lot of money replacing them. And I don't need to run any carbon either, and with the pads you don't get the option.

And in reply to Uncle Dirty, those prices on Amazon are the actual prices of aquaclears. They aren't on sale there.
I totally respect and honor your opinion, and of course, yes, everyone is entitled to one -- that's why I merely respectfully disagreed...

But I see your point regarding the carbon and the impracticality, of sorts, with the cartridges...I just find these pads polish the water pretty well and keep it clean of debris, sucking in a lot of, for my setup at least, goldfish gunk as I like to call it...

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com