Oil Layer on Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purpledreams48

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently just added 10 RCS to my cycled tank on Friday. I noticed a thin layer of oil developed on the surface of the water the next day after I put in new filter media. I've tried using paper towel to get it out, a partial water change, and changing the filter cartridge. It's a planted 2.5 gallon tank, the shrimp are happy and a couple molted already. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the oil?

the oil layer is actually a protein layer from the processes of an aquarium. you can get rid of it by having better surface movement or by using a surface skimmer.

Yes and no. Biofilm on your substrate, decor, etc is actually beneficial to many animals. Especially shrimp. Surface biofilm, however, can inhibit oxygenation of the water. It's also a catch-all term for any build up of biological material.

Mike from AquaPros did a pretty good video about biofilms here

Yes and no. Biofilm on your substrate, decor, etc is actually beneficial to many animals. Especially shrimp. Surface biofilm, however, can inhibit oxygenation of the water. It's also a catch-all term for any build up of biological material.

Mike from AquaPros did a pretty good video about biofilms here

Okay thanks. I'll try using the cup to remove it

You can rest a sheet of paper on the water and draw it off removing much of the proteins .Old school like me !:cool:

Back
Top Bottom