Heater almost killed fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandyRhoads

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Thermo Q submersible heater. I turned it on and when I came back I noticed my moray eel freaking out, a quick check of the water showed over 90 degrees. How do you work these things? It's just a tube with a little nob that doesn't really move. If this is the thermostat how do you set it? That was close and I don't want it to happen again.

water temp should be set and stable before adding the fish..make adjustments to the heater while watching the thermometer in the tank. None of them are 100% accurate to the temp the heater shows and the actual water temp

and on a side note i've never heard of a thermo Q heater. go get an aqueon pro heater..its fully submersible, shaterproof, and has a red light to show when the heater is heating the water. light turns green when it reaches set temp.

Well my tank is already established. It was staying at the perfect temperature all summer but now that it's cooling down I need it. This is what I have, I can't tell how to turn it on or off, or set it to a specific temperature.

img_2186982_0_812229c75e5e1d965e7a232eb02b3f3b.jpg

ok it sounded like u just added fish...i never seen one of those, my opinion would be go get a new heater if you have the funds. heaters are notorious for the thermostat sticking in the ON position and frying fish.

looks like a knob on the top, maybe thats the adjustment for the temp? u have to do it by watching the thermometer like i said before

Ditto going and getting a new heater. Many of the new ones will turn off when the tank reaches your desired temp so you can leave it in year round and have the temps clearly marked at the dial.

Ok I will get a new one, sounds much easier and safer. What's the average I can expect to pay for a heater for a 25 gal?

Not too much. I think we paid around $20 for out 90gal heater on sale for our 65gal tank (we overcompensated because out last heater stank at heating the tank up).

Ok thank you both very much. Glad my fish are ok they went from 65 to over 90 back to65-70 over 12 hours. I'll go pick one up today.

cheapest price i can find for heaters is always amazon..I like the aqueon pro series very much. 100 watt heater should be perfect for that size tank

glad ur fish are doing well!

Wow 100 watts??? Sounds like an expensive thing to run all the time....

Back
Top Bottom