Heater, cheap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfuzzymonster777

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm on a VERY limited budget. I'm starting a ten gallon FW, and I want a better selection of fish (not just coldwater.) HELP A NEWBIE OUT!

I would go to amazon and buy one, buying one used can be a toss up. You will get allot better price on the ones on line then in the pet store usually. I would think you would want a 100 watt with a built in thermostat (in most models). Don't go to cheap els it could be a bust, and you will probably have to replace it, with a model you should have bought in the first place. Thrust me i did that.

I would go to amazon and buy one, buying one used can be a toss up. You will get allot better price on the ones on line then in the pet store usually. I would think you would want a 100 watt with a built in thermostat (in most models). Don't go to cheap els it could be a bust, and you will probably have to replace it, with a model you should have bought in the first place. Thrust me i did that.

+1 an unreliable heater can trigger disease in your tank, while a thermostat failure can wipe out your tank. IMO it's just not worth the risk.

Be careful with those. I bought a similar model from china once, well, actually I bought 4 of a similar model and absolutely none of them worked correctly when I tested them on empty tanks. If you want to go with something cheap, go to petsmart and get a top fin 50w for like $15, they are good deals and the perfect size for a 10 gallon

Be careful with those. I bought a similar model from china once, well, actually I bought 4 of a similar model and absolutely none of them worked correctly when I tested them on empty tanks. If you want to go with something cheap, go to petsmart and get a top fin 50w for like $15, they are good deals and the perfect size for a 10 gallon

+1. I once bought one of those before and it actually exploded. After that, I went to get what I should have gotten, one that is more reliable and actually has a known company's name on it. But what's the max your willing to spend?

Crud! I already ordered... But how would it overheat if set to the right temp? Could I set it lower but have it the correct temp? Oh, (insert appropriate deity here)! What have I done?

Crud! I already ordered... But how would it overheat if set to the right temp? Could I set it lower but have it the correct temp? Oh, (insert appropriate deity here)! What have I done?

Is the heater ordered on amazon prime? Well, if you ordered it, ( and its not prime ), then there's nothing we can do. I mean, it's a 50/50 chance that you get a heater that will overheat the tank when its over wattaged. You really want 5-7 watts per gallon. If its prime, then you can return it for free. At first, try putting the heater at a lower temp and see if the temp stays at that given temp at a steady rate. If it does, then slowly set it back up to the normal temp and all the while, keep a watchful eye on any temp raises above the given temp.

Back
Top Bottom