Heater for freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hunter73

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok. Yes, I've used the search function. I've been running an Aqueon Pro heater with no complaints except for the analog dial.

I'm wanting a heater with a digital read out. I want to for sure know where my heater is set, and what the temp actually is.

What do you recommend, and what is the best?

Thanks for your time, and input.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cobalt neotherm. I have several
Expensive but excellent imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cobalt neotherm. I have several
Expensive but excellent imo.

Thanks. I decided to buy one. Just awaiting arrival now

Good deal! Let me know how you like it

So far I love it. Very high quality. Looks great - very sleek, and I love that it shows actual tank temp, and the temp it's set at.

Yes that it shows both temps is very helpful. It will also indicate when the water is hotter than the temp you have it set at due to lights or whatever.

I was going to recommend a Colbalt Neotherm, but it looks like you're well on your way.

Coincidentally, the last of my analog, glass-tube heaters stopped working and I just ordered up another Colbalt. I'm now 100% Neotherms! ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I see there are numerous complaints about these Neotherm heaters in other forums and on Amazon. Some of the 150w and 200w models leaked along their seams and caused major issues including fire, smoke, current in the tank, and loss of all tank inhabitants. Apparently they have had some manufacturing problems on the larger watt models and they may work for many month before they leak.

Have you experienced any of these issues or heard if these problems have been rectified?

I am leery of purchasing or recommending one unless they have gotten their act together.

I've only heard of the problems with the 200 watt. Most of mine are 25 watt, 50 watt and 100 watt and 1 that i think is 200 watt but can't recall at the moment. I've had them for several years now and never had a problem. I've lost fish due to other brands but in the years I've used Neotherm I've never had any problems. I was actually very surprised to read the unfavorable reviews. My lfs has sold them since they came out and never mentioned any issues. Most people I encounter out in the non internet world won't shell out that kind of money on a heater. I will because it's worth protecting an investment of less common and more costly fish.

Oh and my heaters are actively heating much of the time as I have most of my tanks in a basement with nothing but cement and block walls and no insulation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Actually all my permanent current tanks use canister filters with external inline Hydor ETH heaters attached to external heater controllers. The heater controllers are expensive ($80+) but I trust them better and they are more accurate than the heaters themselves for regulating the temperature. They also have large LEDs numbers showing the actual tank temperatures which show in the dark and make it easy to view all my tanks at a glance.

I was more interested in the Neotherms for temporary tank setups like for quarantines or treating illness. I thought they would be cheaper than having some extra controllers around. The last thing I would want is to have problems with them.

I sent a message off to Cobalt to ask about their past problems and whether everything is now rectified and if they could tell me what batches were actually effected.

So if I understand the heater controllers correctly they have emergency shut off in case the heater gets stuck on? I have no experience with inline heaters or controllers.

So did you just have to get use to Celsius? I think I'd get mixed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I get mixed up too....lol I have a Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion program on my computer so no biggie. The controller is mainly for the safeguards anyway . It is supposed to default to 26C , but I have seen other posts say it will stay wherever you set it. I have not tried to see , I just leave it at 26C.

I use these JBJ heater controllers:

Aquarium Heating & Temperature Control: JBJ True Temp Digital Heater Controller

They are more expensive ($80) than the Azoo models ($25). They have a longer (replaceable) temperature probes (60") compared to Azoo (29"). They can be calibrated, retain setting information in power outage and have larger LED numbers for viewing, and can handle up to 1000w total (800w on Azoo) and uses all digital circuitry (no metal thermostat)s.

When you use a heater controller you plug the actual heaters into the controller and plug the controller into the wall. You then set the tank temperature you want maintained on the controller. You then set the heater thermostats a few degrees higher so that they are always on. The controller then actually sends power to the heaters when the tank temperature needs to be raised. This way the thermostat in the heaters is never reached as power will be shut off to them first. So the heater thermostats are never cycled, never wear out, and cannot stick on (it would not matter if they stuck on anyways).

Personally I like to use to two or more smaller inline heaters as I have multiple canisters on all my tanks and I get better heat circulation. They all connect back to the same tank controller (one for each tank) and that way all the heaters for a tank are always on or off at the same time.

I would much rather trust a more expensive digital heater controller to control the tank temperatures then a bunch of cheap metal heater thermostats that wear out over time. I have never had a problem with these heater controllers in many years of use.

These look like nice heaters but with a heater controller the actual heaters become a commodity item as most of the money is in the controller. You just need something to power that generates some heat in the tank.

I like my heater controllers because I can look into the rooms with my tanks and I can clearly see the temperature of each tank whether the lights are on or off. I instantly know if there is a problem with a tank temperature or whether the power is off for some reason in a tank.

Since I only use inline external heaters which are positioned out of site behind the tanks it is easy to tell if there is every a problem with one.

I am sure the Finnex heaters are fine if you want a in tank heater.......

Back
Top Bottom