Heater works TOO good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay guys, I have my 55 up, running and full of water. I'm putting in plants here and there and now, and I'm having heater issues....thought I would get some advice.

This 55 came with an All Glass Aquarium brand submersible heater. It's only 200 watts, but man, does thing thing blaze! It seems to always be on! I set it on 75 and checked the temp on my thermometer in there and the temp of the water was well over 80...maybe like 82! 8O The ambient temp of my room is around 75-78, so the darn thing shouldn't even be coming on! I set it as far down as it will go and it's still coming on. The water temp is now like 78....with the heater set on 72 or so. What do y'all think? Should I junk it and get a new heater? This thing is ridiculous. If so, what brand would y'all go with?

i think your heater is already messed up.

You have a few options. You can figure out what temp the heater has to be for everything to work properly OR you can go out and get a higher quality heater.

If you do decide to get a better heater then i suggest either an Ebo Jager (Ehiem Jager now) OR a Won Brothers Pro Heat 2. I use both brands exclusively and they are awesome!

The won brothers is more expensive up here in Canada, but they are well worth it as they are a titanium heater.

As long as the temp stays even, and 78 is where you want to be, other wise replace it.

I purchased the Ehiem 300 for my 55 and it works great. I think it was like $18 at BigAls.

i have the tronic heater in my 20 gal and the temp is very solid. i bought this heater used at a garage sale and it works sooo well. the temp never varies more than .5 of a degree. my temp is always 79 +- .5 i have 4 different heaters in 4 different tanks lol. i like to try all my options.

Back
Top Bottom