Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
Heater works TOO good

Okay guys, I have my 55 up, running and full of water. I'm putting in plants here and there and now, and I'm having heater issues....thought I would get some advice.

This 55 came with an All Glass Aquarium brand submersible heater. It's only 200 watts, but man, does thing thing blaze! It seems to always be on! I set it on 75 and checked the temp on my thermometer in there and the temp of the water was well over 80...maybe like 82! 8O The ambient temp of my room is around 75-78, so the darn thing shouldn't even be coming on! I set it as far down as it will go and it's still coming on. The water temp is now like 78....with the heater set on 72 or so. What do y'all think? Should I junk it and get a new heater? This thing is ridiculous. If so, what brand would y'all go with?

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
i think your heater is already messed up.

You have a few options. You can figure out what temp the heater has to be for everything to work properly OR you can go out and get a higher quality heater.

If you do decide to get a better heater then i suggest either an Ebo Jager (Ehiem Jager now) OR a Won Brothers Pro Heat 2. I use both brands exclusively and they are awesome!

The won brothers is more expensive up here in Canada, but they are well worth it as they are a titanium heater.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

As long as the temp stays even, and 78 is where you want to be, other wise replace it.

I purchased the Ehiem 300 for my 55 and it works great. I think it was like $18 at BigAls.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
Yeah, I think I've already decided that I don't trust this heater. Great suggestions on brands. I'm eyeballing a couple. Does anyone know about this brand?: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Is it any good? Seems like a good price to me.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
crazyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
hagen would be my 3rd choice if i couldn't get the ehiem jager or the won brothers

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have the tronic heater in my 20 gal and the temp is very solid. i bought this heater used at a garage sale and it works sooo well. the temp never varies more than .5 of a degree. my temp is always 79 +- .5 i have 4 different heaters in 4 different tanks lol. i like to try all my options.

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com