Heating Large aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkmatter_3500

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting a 130x25"x24" 340 gal aquarium in may and I am wondering what would be the best way to heat it. I will be using 3 FX5 to filter it. No sump. Does anyone have experience with heating large aquariums? I use 4 300 watt heaters on my 300 gal now but im trying to maybe find something more efficient.

my brother has a big tank and he has a tub set up outside of it with heaters and circulates the water through it. he put a nice wood crate over the tub and now its a plant stand lol

I looked into them a while ago for my large tanks and I couldnt find anything that was more than like 200watts. I would go with 2 or 3 really good titanium ones with the temp controllers, they come in 500 watt versions, maybe even higher. :)

carey said:
I looked into them a while ago for my large tanks and I couldnt find anything that was more than like 200watts. I would go with 2 or 3 really good titanium ones with the temp controllers, they come in 500 watt versions, maybe even higher. :)

Thanks, I could not find any high watts in inline so far, im probably going to go with 3 - 500 watt titanium heaters since the tank is so long. If I can find 3 inline with high enough watts to go on my Fx5's I might try it.

I have had friends that use them. They go inline with the canister out put. Hydor makes 300 watt. It keeps the water heated and it is evenly distributed.

I don't have a large aquarium (46 gal) but I have the Hydor inline 200 watt. Definitely happy with it.

kenbob said:
I have had friends that use them. They go inline with the canister out put. Hydor makes 300 watt. It keeps the water heated and it is evenly distributed.

Thanks for the info, if I had 3 - 300 watt inline it might be close if they are efficient, if I need I can always put a regular heater in.

Large Tank Heating

I am getting a 130x25"x24" 340 gal aquarium in may and I am wondering what would be the best way to heat it. I will be using 3 FX5 to filter it. No sump. Does anyone have experience with heating large aquariums? I use 4 300 watt heaters on my 300 gal now but im trying to maybe find something more efficient.

Hello dark...

Just figure on 3 watts per gallon of tank volume. If you used three heaters at 400 watts each, spaced evenly in the tank, then that should be sufficent. Marineland and Hydor Theo carry heaters this size for around $30.00 to $40.00.

B

Somebody on my local reef club set up his tank to be heated by the house water heater to heat his tank.

darkmatter_3500 said:

Wow 3 fx5 very nice
I love my 1!!!

Back
Top Bottom