Help with new 29 Gal Setup and Lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClosMIA

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,
I got a 29 Gal Aqueon Deluxe Kit Tank Stats Below. in the middle of February to upgrade from my 10 gal freshwater. The only additions to the regular kit was an air pump connected to 2 air stones and an air stone bar. Currently stoked with 5 Zebra Danio, a couple plants, Decorations, and gravel.

I am having a lot of trouble with getting the cycle to go my ammonia is staying high requiring constant water changes. I am seeing brown algae growth now also.

I am think of going to a Marineland Penguin 200 or Emperor 350 Filter as these have always been good to me in the past.

I also want to upgrade the lighting but not sure what to get.

Any Recommendations for the cycling problem and for the equipment upgrades would be greatly appreciated.
Aqueon 29gal Deluxe Kit

Size 29 Glass Aquarium​
30"L x 13"W x 19"H

Quiet Flow 30 Power Filter

Large Filter Cartridge

30" Deluxe Fluorescent Hood 29.25"x11.5" Fluorescent Bulb

100 Watt Submersible Heater Shatter-Resistant Accurate +/- 1º

Thanks,
Carlos

the only way to fix the ammonia are water changes and vacuming unless you can remove fish, i did about a 90% water change on my 10 and it fixed the ammonia permanantly. you should keep your light off so the algae goes away or get some shrimp(when your done cycling). when you upgrade you should put your old filter cartlidge in the new filter so you dont loose any progress. you should get about a 90 watt light if you have plants that need high lighting.

the only way to fix the ammonia are water changes and vacuming unless you can remove fish, i did about a 90% water change on my 10 and it fixed the ammonia permanantly. you should keep your light off so the algae goes away or get some shrimp(when your done cycling). when you upgrade you should put your old filter cartlidge in the new filter so you dont loose any progress. you should get about a 90 watt light if you have plants that need high lighting.

I am working on the water changes the fish in this tank are for cycling purposes I still have my old 10gal setup and running perfectly and will move these fish once 29gal is cycled.
Any suggestions on a good canopy and light fixture?

ClosMIA, you would have to replace the lid with one made of glass, and get a double strip T5 flourecent canopy. I'm going through the same procedure with the Aqueon kits, which are mostly T8 17watt flourescents.
You cannot just stick in a higher watt T8 bulb, nor use a T5 in a T8 fixture.

I still don't know if there is such a thing as 30" T5 bulbs, so you are most likely looking at a 30" canopy with 2 24" T5 bulbs.

The Aqueon 30 filter is rated at 200 gallons per hour which should be fine for a 29 gallon. I added the bio-max ceramic cylanders made for Aquaclear filters to my filter box for extra bacteria surface.

Good Luck :cool:

ClosMIA, you would have to replace the lid with one made of glass, and get a double strip T5 flourecent canopy. I'm going through the same procedure with the Aqueon kits, which are mostly T8 17watt flourescents.
You cannot just stick in a higher watt T8 bulb, nor use a T5 in a T8 fixture.

I still don't know if there is such a thing as 30" T5 bulbs, so you are most likely looking at a 30" canopy with 2 24" T5 bulbs.

The Aqueon 30 filter is rated at 200 gallons per hour which should be fine for a 29 gallon. I added the bio-max ceramic cylanders made for Aquaclear filters to my filter box for extra bacteria surface.

Good Luck :cool:

If it is not the filter causing the problem what do you think it might be?
Any suggestions on a glass canopy and light fixture?
Also is T5 better or LED?

Ah, I woud disagree with T8's being better. You will be limited to 17 watt bulbs.
Your tank is 19" tall, so everything I have researched suggests a double T5 light would b better than double T8's.

I mentioned the glass lid because a double bulb canopy would no longer fit over your current lid. Glass seems easier as you have more space to sit the canopy on. Perfecto brand has some, but may just search google fpr glass aquarium lids.

I find LED's too expensive, in comparison to T5's, so I haven't looked into them.

Back
Top Bottom