Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2014, 12:50 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygua View Post
I agree, and stand corrected. most here are AquaClear fans, that I associated with the new brand name. mine does a great job.
I have many, and I have always liked them, and it's easy to replace parts even if they wear out. It's just such a great design. Simple, but great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:51 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Glad to hear from all of you. I will show you what I end up getting when the time comes. Keep the updates coming though. It's nice to have people to hear from.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by machotaco View Post
Glad to hear from all of you. I will show you what I end up getting when the time comes. Keep the updates coming though. It's nice to have people to hear from.
By the way, welcome to the forum!

Bit of newbie to the forum myself, getting back into the hobbie after a long absence. There is a lot of great advice here.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:01 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've noticed, been spending a lot of my day learning from the veteran on here.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:12 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Have you looked art the aqueon quiteflow. I've had experience with fluvial cannister and aquaclear. I run when anything hagen shows up. Very bad experiences with hagen products. I've never had a problem with the aqueon quiteflow 55/75. Run 2 on a 75g African cichlid. Very good water clarity.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole scratch View Post
Have you looked art the aqueon quiteflow. I've had experience with fluvial cannister and aquaclear. I run when anything hagen shows up. Very bad experiences with hagen products. I've never had a problem with the aqueon quiteflow 55/75. Run 2 on a 75g African cichlid. Very good water clarity.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Wow, my experience is that aquaclear hob and Fluval canisters are both great... I've owned 3 Fluval canisters and probably 30 aquaclear hob (not a typo). I still have most of them that haven't been sold off with tank setups and what not.

My experience with aqueon quiet flows has been pretty disappointing. One of them quit on me after just a few months. Plus I'm just not a fan of proprietary cartridges in filters. The aquaclear filters are easier to customize. JMHO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

The quiet flows definitely leave alot to be desired. U can only use standard cartridges, and if u try to add more media the water just goes over the bypass and into the tank unfiltered. I have two quiet flow 10s that now gather dust. Cant go wrong with aquaclears.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Also not a fan of aqueon filters, essentially the could get the exact same result you get from an aqueon by filling your filter full of filter floss. They also do not last - I go through a lot of filters on all my tanks - and the aqueons have rarely lasted more than a year before they have to be replaced for one reason or another.

If you want some good ideas on putting plants in your HOB; check this thread Planted HOB thread.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fluval C series is the best - makes others obsolete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Lover View Post
Hands down go with the fluval. Much better quality had has 5 stages of filtration. I have the fluval C4's on my two 55's. May I ask what size tank is this for?
AMEN. I have been touting the C series for a long time. I have an aquaclear 50 that is a piece of junk compared to the Fluval C (I now use the AC50 as an auxiliary third filter on my 38 gallon which has two C3's). The Fluval C is only a few bucks more than a comparable AquaClear on Amazon or Dr's Foster & Smith. I have one C4 on my 29 gallon and two C3's on my 38. I custom media and my water is exceptionally clear & polished:

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Paul1792's Album: Paul1792's 38 gallon - Picture

Here are some links to the somewhat comprehensive posts I have made about Fluval C's being superior to any other:

Post #7 here:
Hang on back (HOB) Filters

Post #3 here:
Fluval C4 vs bio wheel HOBs

Posts #11and 13 here:
What is the best HOB filter?

Posts #2 & 7 here:
Optimal Filtration

There may be other ways to get there but the easiest sure fire way to get crystal clear polished water is with polishing pads - which come standard on Fluval C polyfiber inserts (although I use cut to fit 100 micron pad) and Seachem Purigen in lieu of carbon in the chemical chamber.

Link to my photobucket account which shows HOB filtration here:

HOB Filtration Photos by Paul1792 | Photobucket

[Just click on the pic you want and it enlarges and provides explanation]
Old 03-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Just keep in mind what it is you are actually trying to accomplish with your tank. Crystal clear polished water may or may not be your desire. If you are trying to keep a blackwater tank or a planted tank, crystal clear polished water produced using all kinds of nutrient absorbing products may not be what you are after. I run well over 30 different tanks ranging in size for 10 to 100 gallons including fresh, brackish, and salt water and I've tried a lot of different filters. The only HOB filters currently in use in my fishroom are Aquaclears - they have proven their functionality over the long term, the new fluval C has yet to do so - it may or it may not. If they stand up and show a proven long term performance then maybe I'll have to try one of them. Everyone has their own individual preferences, because every tank and every fishkeeper is different.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, filters, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com