Horrible advice? Or good deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyz0os

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today i went to my lfs to check out their fish for a new tankmate. One of the dudes who works there started making conversation and i explained to him i wanted to get a t5 so i could get some coral. He said t5s are good but expensive. As an alternative, he told me that i could instead get a lamp fixture frm home depot and use that instead. anyone heard of this?

i personally like lights made for aquariums as they should have waterproof end caps. you could look into retro fitting lights and a ballast under a canopy.

i personally like lights made for aquariums as they should have waterproof end caps. you could look into retro fitting lights and a ballast under a canopy.
I have no idea what t5 i want, i just know all of them are expensive haha well for me. I don't have a job yet i use my college financial aid to buy my fish stuff. So i COULD use the light fixture from home depot but you recommend getting the ones meant for aquariums.

lol, well if they are suspended well above the tank, waterproof endcaps wouldnt be a big deal. i have a couple hagen glo t5h.o. and i like em. but you may want a 4 lamp model...

lol, well if they are suspended well above the tank, waterproof endcaps wouldnt be a big deal. i have a couple hagen glo t5h.o. and i like em. but you may want a 4 lamp model...
Hmm and what if theirs heat resistant glass between the lamp and tank? Dont think the landlord will be cool with me drilling holes in the ceiling to hang a lamp above my tank haha

there are hanging mounts like in my pic albums that mount to your stand and suspend the lights.i have open top tanks but glass lid would be fine for most applications, as long as the lights dont melt a plastic brace or get wet...

And just in case you are serious. No, you can't use a lamp for corals. Look on craigslist or something for some used T5. Of course you would prob need to replace the bulbs if used, but many bulbs supplied new aren't good anyway.

And just in case you are serious. No, you can't use a lamp for corals. Look on craigslist or something for some used T5. Of course you would prob need to replace the bulbs if used, but many bulbs supplied new aren't good anyway.
hahaha i WAS serious but ah you guys are right. Just asking about the lfs guy's input. it did seem a bit strange that a regular lamp would be good enough for photosynthesis. Plus, its a risk if it gets wet. Thanks:] will check more on craigslist

That would depend on the tank size and depth. Unless it is a smaller tank (20g or less), I think a 4 bulb would be better for coral.

That would depend on the tank size and depth. Unless it is a smaller tank (20g or less), I think a 4 bulb would be better for coral.
I read that the 4 bulb is better but thats 100 dollars more. I found that t5 at marineandreef.com. So the 2 bulb won't do my tank any good?

Its 36 gallon bowfront. 30'L and 21'H

I need to let others respond because I just don't know enough about lighting to give an educated answer. IMO the 2 bulbs are a start but would not be enough light. I guess it all depends on what kind of corals you are looking for and how high up in the tank they are placed. If they are lower light corals and are in the top 1/3 or 1/4 of the tank under the light then it MIGHT be ok.

I need to let others respond because I just don't know enough about lighting to give an educated answer. IMO the 2 bulbs are a start but would not be enough light. I guess it all depends on what kind of corals you are looking for and how high up in the tank they are placed. If they are lower light corals and are in the top 1/3 or 1/4 of the tank under the light then it MIGHT be ok.

Hmm ok well thankyou for the help:]

i think he thought you were leaning toward fish only, or plants...until later.. if you are serious about saltwater you will absolutely want 4 t5s H.O.,if not 6 10,000k. (maybe 1 actinic) soft corals need less light than hard coral...novas are cheaper but louder than some of the other fixtures. hope i help

Back
Top Bottom