Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Horrible advice? Or good deal?

Today i went to my lfs to check out their fish for a new tankmate. One of the dudes who works there started making conversation and i explained to him i wanted to get a t5 so i could get some coral. He said t5s are good but expensive. As an alternative, he told me that i could instead get a lamp fixture frm home depot and use that instead. anyone heard of this?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #2

sure, you could.... what kind of t5s were you wanting to get?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #3

i personally like lights made for aquariums as they should have waterproof end caps. you could look into retro fitting lights and a ballast under a canopy.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle View Post
i personally like lights made for aquariums as they should have waterproof end caps. you could look into retro fitting lights and a ballast under a canopy.
I have no idea what t5 i want, i just know all of them are expensive haha well for me. I don't have a job yet i use my college financial aid to buy my fish stuff. So i COULD use the light fixture from home depot but you recommend getting the ones meant for aquariums.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #5

lol, well if they are suspended well above the tank, waterproof endcaps wouldnt be a big deal. i have a couple hagen glo t5h.o. and i like em. but you may want a 4 lamp model...
Old 04-02-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle View Post
lol, well if they are suspended well above the tank, waterproof endcaps wouldnt be a big deal. i have a couple hagen glo t5h.o. and i like em. but you may want a 4 lamp model...
Hmm and what if theirs heat resistant glass between the lamp and tank? Dont think the landlord will be cool with me drilling holes in the ceiling to hang a lamp above my tank haha
Old 04-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #7

there are hanging mounts like in my pic albums that mount to your stand and suspend the lights.i have open top tanks but glass lid would be fine for most applications, as long as the lights dont melt a plastic brace or get wet...
Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

And just in case you are serious. No, you can't use a lamp for corals. Look on craigslist or something for some used T5. Of course you would prob need to replace the bulbs if used, but many bulbs supplied new aren't good anyway.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
And just in case you are serious. No, you can't use a lamp for corals. Look on craigslist or something for some used T5. Of course you would prob need to replace the bulbs if used, but many bulbs supplied new aren't good anyway.
hahaha i WAS serious but ah you guys are right. Just asking about the lfs guy's input. it did seem a bit strange that a regular lamp would be good enough for photosynthesis. Plus, its a risk if it gets wet. Thanks:] will check more on craigslist
Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

wait what about the t5 nova ho x2?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com