How does an overflow work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevypride

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a 128 gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump tank. It's drilled for an over flow. But I don't know how any of this works. What do I need? It came with two big powerheads... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396209131.065133.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396209199.117823.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396209220.626088.jpg

You are going to need bulkheads, which will allow you to put pipes through those holes in the overflow without leaking.
You need to figure out what size bulkheads you need according to the hole sizes.

Then you will need to construct a standpipe (google "durso standpipe") to make it quiet.
Then you will hook one or both of those pumps to return(s) and you are ready to go.

The drain will go into one side of your sump and the return pump(s) will go in the other.

Will those two pumps work? It's what he gave me. So I'm assuming that's what I need.... But I don't know what they are hah! One looks like a hose could attack to it.

This may sound really stupid, but does the water just fall into the overflow? Like I just hook up the PVC piping and it just drains in?

This may sound really stupid, but does the water just fall into the overflow? Like I just hook up the PVC piping and it just drains in?

thats it once everything is setup the return pumps water up into the tank which forces water down the drain pipe into the sump thats basically the circle

Does the aquarium actually have an overflow in it already? One of those powerheads is for circulation within the tank and the other is a return pump from the sump. The return pump returns water from the sump to the tank, the tank fills then overflows into the overflow weir and syphons down through a pipe back into the sump. If the power is cut the pump stops, the tank stope filling and the overflow into the weir stops, thus preventing a flood. Make sure your return nozzle (the water that is flowing back into y he tank) is above or at the water line, or make sur it has a hole drilled into it otherwise is your power is cut water WILL syphon down the return pipe and you will have a flood. Once you do some googling and research it'll all become clear (as mud lol)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh and you will need a silencer for your weir overflow drain itll be crazy noisy. I recommend the diy stockman standpipe,better than the durso imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. It's already drilled. This all just seems so confusing to me hah. Luckily I have a few months of research while I hoard for supplies.

Can I suggest you go to your local fish store and cjeck out how some of their sumps/overflows are set up.

I did go talk to them. There's are totally different. I'm going to go back when the owner is there and let him explain it. He has been involved in sw forever, and has built custom tanks and what not. I just wanted to get an idea before going to see him.

Another quick question; do I need the skimmer before setting up the tank? Or can I add it after? I'm looking at over $400 just for the skimmer. So if I get it all cycled and set up, then can I add the skimmer? The month or so of cycling would give me time to save up...

I can't see that as much of an issue however others may have an opinion. In my view as long as you have the skimmer before stocking the tank with fish etc then you should be fine.

Okay thank you for all the help!

It will just be live rock in the tank for awhile, I'm looking into making my own rock so I can supplement some live rock. Where I live, the live rock is $12 a pound, over $1400 on live rock seems way to steep for me... I get that it's an expensive hobby, but when the live rock costs more then my entire set up will just seems ridiculous.

Wow thats more expensive than here in Australia lol judt be careful with diy rocks, I had some in my cichlids tank and couldn't figure out why my water was never truly crystal clear. Took that rock out, got an ehiem good filter and boom crystal clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can see.

Attachments

• 1396313342562.jpg
    1396313342562.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 165
I'll test it in my cichlid tank first after it's been cured and soaked (I have a 30 gallon that's basically empty).

Back
Top Bottom