How many watts for a heater...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to keep rams so need my tank to be warmer. My old heater just isn't cutting it right now. Can't get it to stay up. It is only a 50 watter in a 20 gallon tank trying to stay at 79-80.

So, I want new heater. How big should I go? I have a 20gallon now, but next year will likely be getting a 30. I want a heater I can use on both tanks.

How many watts?

Thanks!

Thanks! I should be able to shop for one tomorrow. My oldest is off school today and is not fond of going to the pet shop. Me and the little one can go tomorrow.

Need more help:

My LFS does not have the Enheim Jager. They have an Aqueon Pro 100w rated up to 30 gallons, and a Fluval 150w. The Aqueon Pro has pretty good reviews on Amazon, the Fluval not so much. Do you think the Aqueon 100w is going to suit my purposes of a 30 gallon tank that needs to be kept on the warmer side? I think I could get the Enheim from a chain store, but I am trying to use up gift cards I got from my LFS. The Aqueon and Enheim had about the same reviews on Amazon. What do you think?

Need more help:

My LFS does not have the Enheim Jager. They have an Aqueon Pro 100w rated up to 30 gallons, and a Fluval 150w. The Aqueon Pro has pretty good reviews on Amazon, the Fluval not so much. Do you think the Aqueon 100w is going to suit my purposes of a 30 gallon tank that needs to be kept on the warmer side? I think I could get the Enheim from a chain store, but I am trying to use up gift cards I got from my LFS. The Aqueon and Enheim had about the same reviews on Amazon. What do you think?

If they have an aqueon in the 150 I'd get it its a good heater and will still be good on a 30 gallon

They don't have the 150 in stock right now, just the 100 and 200.

They don't have the 150 in stock right now, just the 100 and 200.

I would.personally go with more just because you can control the temp to lower or higher. Plus it will still be good for a bigger tank in the future. By my calculations you'll need 120 watts and I always round up so that would be 150 watts. I'd get the 200 imo since they don't have the 150.

When talking heaters a lot falls in play on where you live and how cold it gets. I can run my 180 gallon on 350 watts in the summer months but when winter hits I have to run another 300 watts. I live in Ohio and my tank is in the basement

Last edited:
It is 5 degrees tonight in Michigan. I am going to hold out for a 150 watt. My little 50 finally got the 20 gallon up to 79 today and seems to be steady. I will shoot for 80 tomorrow and that is where I would like it to be. Problem is that that heater is way old and I am not sure how long it will last. So, if it takes a week or so to get the new heater I really want, that is okay. I might even be able to get the Enheim somewhere. Thanks for your help!

The inline heaters are the best by far

You put them on the return pipe of your exturnal filter and the warm water gets pumped around the tank and you have the bonus of have no heater in the tank

Depending on filter pipe size will determine the size heater you get 16-22 mm hose is a 300w but as its a smaller tank it will be a 200w

The cheapest is the hydor efi

Buy it from eBay

Even if you don't buy the exturnal heater then buy on line anyways you have more selection than just the ones your local shop promotes

I would recommend a total wattage at 4-6 times the size of the tank depending on the maximum temperature dfference between where you want the tank to be and what is the actual room temperature. The higher the tank temperature has to be raised from actual rooom temperature the more wattage you will need.

That being said there can be other factors as well like whether the tank is up against a cold outside wall of the house, it gets a cold draft from an outside door, total water circulation to name a few.

I would recommend getting two smaller heaters that total your final wattage instrad of one large one for multiple reasons. If one gets stuck on it take alot longer before the water get too hot (heaters can wear out from cycling all the time and stick on). If you place one on each end of the tank you get better heat circulation (instead of most of the heat on one end). If one has to be removed or one breaks you still have one going in the tank for backup.

I admit this makes more sense as the tank get larger (20 or 30 gallons is pretty small) and some people do not like to look at multiple heaters. I agree that external in line heaters on multiple canisters work best (they are not even in the tank to view and are easy to adjust) but that is overkill for such a small system.

Back
Top Bottom