Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Best just to by a good quality pump, over rated for you tank and then you can use check valves and airflow valves if needed. Eheim make one with flow adjustment built in. They are also fairly quiet too.....

Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Believe it or not, I have always had my pump below the tank and never had it siphon during a power failure. I guess if the pump "fell" and pulled the airstone up to where the water in the line crossed over the lip of the tank, it may siphon then. As it stands now, I haven't seen water go uphill over the lip.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just a thought...

have you taken the anti siphon out yet? I have a dual air pump in one tank. A water feature on one side, an air wand on the other. I started noticing the air wand looking like it was becoming plugged. Slow but sure almost down to one bubble! Now I get in there tinkering and found that the anti siphon was broke/defective. The pump hooked direct blew bubbles all over. I had not ever heard of such a simple device plugging/failing, but it's true. I had two different anti siphons, one from a pet store, one from the biggest box store. Guess which one failed?? Anyway give it a check!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My pumps are unmodified...
Old 03-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it's such a silly risk to use an airpump without a check valve. Why would you risk it. If you had a small crack/leak in the tank, would you ignore it??. IMO crazy to risk it, for a part that costs a few dollars....
Water and electricity don't mix too well...lol

Tags
air, bubble, wall, walls

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com