How much weight can my glass table hold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iloveshramp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to put a 5 gallon fish tank on a glass end table, and I'm having trouble figuring out how much weight it will hold. I have used this site:

https://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/glass-weight-load-calculator

My specific question is about the supports. My glass end table does not have any supports, but it is ~12 inches wide - so does that mean it is safe to say it is has a support every foot? I obviously don't want to break the end table or fish tank, so I want to be sure.

The glass is standard, ~13 x 23in, and somewhere between 3/16 and 1/4 thick.

I want to put a 5 gallon fish tank on a glass end table, and I'm having trouble figuring out how much weight it will hold. I have used this site:

https://www.dullesglassandmirror.com/glass-weight-load-calculator

My specific question is about the supports. My glass end table does not have any supports, but it is ~12 inches wide - so does that mean it is safe to say it is has a support every foot? I obviously don't want to break the end table or fish tank, so I want to be sure.

The glass is standard, ~13 x 23in, and somewhere between 3/16 and 1/4 thick.
A gallon of fresh water is just over 7 lbs so figure you have at least 28 lbs of water. Then add all the decor you might add plus the actual weight of the tank. Go from there. Personally, I'm not a fan of tanks on glass. You just have to be willing to be wrong. ;) Nothing is guaranteed with glass. :whistle:

A gallon of fresh water is just over 7 lbs so figure you have at least 28 lbs of water. Then add all the decor you might add plus the actual weight of the tank. Go from there. Personally, I'm not a fan of tanks on glass. You just have to be willing to be wrong. ;) Nothing is guaranteed with glass. :whistle:
I think you have a typo, 35 lbs minimum for a 5 gallon tank...

Nope. Realistically speaking, having a glass box of water filled with life is a gamble. We build crazy stands, we build crazy tanks, we overbuild all this aquarium stuff! And it still fails!!!

I'm going to put this as straight as I can. Putting glass box of water on a glass table designed to support an IKEA lamp and some coasters??? KOOKOOOOO

I think you have a typo, 35 lbs minimum for a 5 gallon tank...

Actually, a 5 gallon tank does not hold 5 gallons of water so I rounded down and went with 4 gallons of water since displacement due to decorations will also occur. (y)
Bottom line tho, it's still not a good idea. ;)

Back
Top Bottom