Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How much surface movement?

I have a 75g tank with an Emporer 400 on the far left (when facing the tank). I have the output and intake of my Fluval 404 slightly to the right of the middle. The output is about mid level on depth. The intake is at the bottom. I also got 2 penguin power heads with the tank. One is a 1140 with 300gph and the other is a 660 with 170 gph. My question is should put one of these power heads at the far right of the tank to make more surface movement or is that to much? If so wich should i use? This tank will house to Oscars and maybe a green terror and a pleco.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You really can't have too much surface agitation... if it doesn't bother the fish, it's not too much. That said, the two filters should give you adequate surface agitation. I have a spray bar on my 150g coming off my fluval 405. I keep it right below the surface so that it makes ripples across the top. Never had any issues.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

One thing I would say is to try to spread out your 404 intake and output more. It sounds like they are both in the middle? This could give you some deadspots where the water doesn't get filtered. I would always advise with a large canister to have the input and output as far apart as you possibly can. All mine are on the opposite sides of the tanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #4

The Fluval 04s input and output are connected, unlike the 05s.

I think at least one of the powerheads should be up by the surface, or pointing at it. But it is a good idea to keep the other down low keeping the water moving across the substrate.

Two oscars would max out that 75, no room for a green terror or common pleco. If you do enough water changes you could have a bristlenose pleco if the oscars grow up with it and you only feed them pellets (no live food).

Do the powerheads have the bubbler option? This is another good way to increase aeration.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ahh, thanks. Sounds like a design flaw having them connected.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
The Fluval 04s input and output are connected, unlike the 05s.

I think at least one of the powerheads should be up by the surface, or pointing at it. But it is a good idea to keep the other down low keeping the water moving across the substrate.

Two oscars would max out that 75, no room for a green terror or common pleco. If you do enough water changes you could have a bristlenose pleco if the oscars grow up with it and you only feed them pellets (no live food).

Do the powerheads have the bubbler option? This is another good way to increase aeration.
So are you saying to use both power heads?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #7

Definitely.

Tags
movement, surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com