I know I should know the answer to this....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I e-mailed Marineland - the makers of both the Penguin and the Emperor bio-wheel model filters. I asked them the difference between these two filters, and here is the response I received:

The gallons per hour, & the bio- wheels on the Emperor are run off a spray bar, not just the water underneath the wheel. Thanks!

Marineland Customer Service
6100 Condor Dr. Moorpark, CA. 93021
(800)322-1266

This was a great answer, exactly what I was looking for! But then I realized, I don't know what a spray bar is, or what its purpose is! :roll:

Can someone explain please? I feel like such a goon, as I have heard this word repeatedly and skimmed passed it in my readings.

Thanks

The other major difference is, the Emperor has a secondary media slot and a media container which you can put whatever you want in. I find the biggest advantage the Emperor has over the Penguin is, if the filter pad starts to clog the bio-wheel stops on the Penguin. That isn't a good thing. Dollar for dollar, I feel the Emperor is one of the best filters on the market. ($40 plus shipping at BigAls for the 400.) I own three 400's and four 280's. I have a few Penguin 170's that I use on my 10 gal. tanks. I feel the Penguin 110, Although rated for a 10 gal., doesn't work very well. Not enough media area. "Go for the Emperor. You won't be displeased."

Well to play devil's advocate a little. The Emperor is a little more sturdy and the spray over the wheel is nice. The Penguin 330 also has a secondary media slot just like the Emperor. I have both the Penguin 330 and the Emperor 400. With the Penguins you can get closer to a wall as they are shallower in depth and I have never had the wheels stop spinning. If you rinse you filters in tank water at your water changes they should never clog. There is no doubt the Emperor is a little better filter. However, the last time I looked, The Penguin 330 was $24 from petsmart and with a free shipping promo you can buy 2 for not much more than the Emperor 400. The Emperor is great but 2 Penguins are better. (Basically same manufacturer, same concept, great filters)

R-

Well. My turn!

The Emperor's are larger. Period. An Emperor 400 is pretty much two Emperor 280's with a single intake in the middle. The biowheels on both are larger than the Penguin 330's, and the filter media is larger. Both hold a LOT more water as well (Goes back to reefnewb's 'closer to the wall' thing).

The Emperor is definately the better filter by a long shot. But it all depends on your tank size and wallet. I run a Penguin 330 on my 29 gallon, AND on my 20 gallon goldfish tank (Silly messy goldfish). My 90 has 2x Emperor 400s, and my 75 has one of each.

The Emperor series is definately more expensive. But generally worth it for a larger tank IMO.

I have a penguin mini on my 10 gallon and a 330 on the 46 gallon. I was just wondering what the difference was say between the penguin 330 and emporer 400. It sounds as though the major differences are in the bigger size filters.

Back
Top Bottom