Ice cap 660-009 ballast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jose7878

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone it's been a while since I posted . I just bought a Icecap 660-009 ballast from craigslist. I just noticed that the ballast is a 220 volt not a 110 volt. Now my question is can I still run the ballast as a 110 or will I need to run as a 220 ?

Wiring it with two plugs isn't a good idea for electrical safety reasons.

While I know people back feed their house with a generator using 2 - 110 volt extension cords, it's not recommended.

While I know people back feed their house with a generator using 2 - 110 volt extension cords, it's not recommended.

Yeah, I agree with jim that doesn't sound safe..

Ok I've been told this, but why is it not safe? I have also been told that you get "cleaner" power with 2 110's.
Not sure.

I would like a good reason to do it or not.

Well I ended up calling Icecap today and Spoke to Bill (may I say one of the friendliest person I've spoken to from a company).He told me to send it to him and he will convert it over to a 110v for me . For a small price of course.
So my problem is solved.

Yeah But still cheaper then buying brand new and it will get a complete over look to make sure everything is in working order.....

So basically it will be new...

Ok I've been told this, but why is it not safe? I have also been told that you get "cleaner" power with 2 110's.
Not sure.

I would like a good reason to do it or not.

There are various reasons. The voltage drop in a normal electric cord, feeding the circuit breakers from the output side, ability to overload a line because of the reverse flow, etc.

When you back feed the house from a generator, do you shut off the main house supply breaker?

Yeah But still cheaper then buying brand new and it will get a complete over look to make sure everything is in working order.....

So basically it will be new...
Looks like a small price to pay for a complete workover.
Glad to hear that...IceCaps a good company...

Back
Top Bottom