Impeller Cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
What maintenence is required of a HOB filter? Does the impeller need to be removed and soaked in some type of solvent occasionally?

Your impeller can get clogged up and you should give it a clean whenever you clean the filter. I just rinse it and rub any gunk of it with my finger. The shaft probably has some sort of bushing or bearing it sits in so be careful not to lose them.

I would strongly advise against using a solvent to clean it, you don't know what effect it might have. Just water and a light rub should do it.

clean the impeller housing and the impeller with a Qtip...works great for me.

I second Qtips - they work great for getting gunk out of the impeller housing.

You'll know when the impeller needs to be cleaned - the outflow will be reduced significantly.

Certain plants like hornwort and Java moss get wrapped around the impeller and clog it. In one of my planted tanks, I have to clean the HOB weekly. All the others work without a hitch for months.

I just clean my impellers with the small bruch that came with my HOB. Just lightly brush the gunk off under the faucet.

I put a sponge over the intake tube so it wouldn't suck up my baby fish.. My plants no longer get stuck in my impeller! Less gunk build up under my bio-basket and my impellers need cleaning less frequently. Oh Yeah! AND, I get some extra biofilter working in the process. :) All plus's.

triazole said:
clean the impeller housing and the impeller with a Qtip...works great for me.

exactly what I do. plus i have some silicone lubricant that I put a tiny dab on the motor 'shaft' taht hte impelle spins on, since silicone lube isn't water soluble it stays put, but is non-toxic.

Back
Top Bottom