Inline heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lets seee, canister filters $90. In line heater $45. Not having a noisy HOB filter protruding over the tank, and not having heaters and wires inside your beautiful tank? PRICELESS.

I got one for a 55 gal. I like it. I have older submersible ones on hand should it ever fail, but its been in for 9 months so far. I like that the heated water is dispersed around the tank efficiently since it comes out of the canister nozzle.

They are thick (2 to 3 inches) and long (10 inches) so you either need the head room above the canister and below the tank, or room between the back of the tank and the wall to install it. It must be installed verticle to prevent air trapping.

edit: yes, I think two of the 300W will work great for your 125 gal tank.

Alright thanks! btw... How did you install yours on the fluval 404? I'm still trying to decide which fitlers I want. I'm debating between the fluval 404 and the rena filstar xp3. I thought about eheims, but I can always save up for those later and try selling one of my canisters and using the other for my 55gallon. Also, does anyone know the tubing size of the rena filstars? is it 5/8" like the heater requires?

I did a custom install job for my Fluvals. I added 3+ feet of 5/8 inch vinyl tubing so I could put the canisters in the room behind my tank ( laundry room, spills dont matter there). I used vinyl hose connectors and metal hose clamps from Menards to splice the vinyl tubing into it. I have my inline heater between the tank and the wall, as I had left room so I could fiddle with things behind the tank. Even if your filter tubing is not the correct size, all you would have to do is buy a vinyl addapter to fit the different tubes (ie: a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter) and some vinyl tube to splice it in. But I would not worry. a 5/8 inch insert on the end of the heater will be snug enough on a 3/4 hose to clamp it water tight, and you could jam a 5/8 inch insert into a 1/2 hose with a little effort. Thus, the Hydor could be stuffed into anything from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch. Which is why they say it fits most filters. I would bet all the filters are 5/8 inch tho.

Remeber to look at the online prices, as I am sure you have, since you said you are placing an order.

I like the Fluvals. I have no reason to say they are better or worse than eheim, rena, or cascade, since I have never had them. I have had a magnum, and think the Fluval is much better than the magnum.

Hmm thanks. I'll keep that all in mind. Yes i've looked online and found the rena filstar xp3's on sale for $86.19 at www.drsfostersmith.com Not bad since the going price in stores for those are like $179.99-199.99. The fluval 404s are on sale as well at $99.99, but are like $104.99 full price online places. I'm still looking around some, but am definetly ordering on thursday. I have to get it running and cylced asap heh...

compare at www.petsolutions.com , if you have not already. I got my Fluvals last year on sale for $89.99 and free shipping. I think it was a christmas promotion.

edit: today fluval 404's are $94.99 at petsolutions.

I've heard that www.drsfostersmith.com has excellent customer service. I'm sure they would help you find out the width of the tubing on the Filstar, maybe you should shoot them an e mail. :D That sounds like a killer deal on the Filstar BTW!

Yeah.. It's pretty much 55-60% from the stores around my area lol... anyway I just emailed them and asked them about the rena filstar's tubing. Hope to get a reply back by thursday. Thanks both of you!

Back
Top Bottom