Is a fluval 405 overkill for a 30g deep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bunny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just hooked up a fluval fx5 to my 120g discus tank, and Im thinking I'd love a canister filter for my 30g (deep) salt water setup to replace the aquaclear/powerhead combo Im currently using.

I know its better to go bigger for filtration with salt water- but would a 405 be too much?

Thanks for your thoughts :)

I have a 304 on my 55. The 405 will give you around 11xper hour turn over. So that will work. You may want to add another low flow ph to position for good chaotic flow. Are you looking to do a reef?

Its been up and running about a year, with 46lbs of liverock, 2 kenya trees, a small bunch of zoos. Currently there is a damsel, a perc clown, royal gramma, and a fire goby (no plans to add more fish, maybe some corals). I also have tons and tons of brittle stars. Im just using PCs, so I wouldnt be addings tons of other corals.

Definitely not overkill.

IMO "over-filtration" is an oxymoron.

Unless your fish are fighting a rapid vortex the entire time, you should be fine.

Plus the more live rock, plants, corals, decor, etc. you have, the more it restricts the flow.

I run a 304 and a Marineland HOT Magnum on my 55 gal and still have low flow areas.

Back
Top Bottom