CO2 for a Fluval Spec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most is coming out of the diffuser disk now, although some is still leaking. The psi is just under 50.

What type of tubing are you using? CO2 tubing or regular airline tubing (vinyl or silicone)? CO2 tubing is very stiff and, I'm guessing, less likely to leak (by stretching) at the diffuser's connector.

Aquatek co2 tubing. It's at the end of the tubing, not coming out the actual tubing itself.

Aquatek co2 tubing. It's at the end of the tubing, not coming out the actual tubing itself.

Yea I'd say the diffuser is clogged abit. At almost 50psi that thing should be streaming out of the diffuser

The diffuser is 2 days old. What could've clogged it that fast? It's now like 3 tiny streams of bubbles coming out at the end of the tubing, with most coming out of the diffuser.

The diffuser is 2 days old. What could've clogged it that fast? It's now like 3 tiny streams of bubbles coming out at the end of the tubing, with most coming out of the diffuser.

Ahh right lol they take little bit to get going at first but it should settle.

It's all running properly now! The Monte Carlo is pearling and just barely starting to spread. The rotala indica is growing super quickly!

Just finished the first water change since the rescaped. I was worried my water would get wacked up from the rescaped, but all is well ( 7.6 pH, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 5 ppm nitrate). The inhabitants are all well too. The Monte Carlo is rooting in (finally stopped floating to the top!) and spreading nicely. The rotala is looking much healthier as well. I'll post pictures once the carpet is done carpeting!

The tank has been up and running for 4 weeks now! Carpet is about complete and the rotala is getting bushy, but not growing tall. I just cleaned the tank. I'll take some pictures once it settles, and post them!

This is right after setup:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k587/Cherokeeluvr/FullSizeRender_zpsa35iiors.jpg

Here is one month later!

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k587/Cherokeeluvr/IMG_7576_zpslm8b1c4a.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k587/Cherokeeluvr/IMG_7604_zpsu4dkwad0.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k587/Cherokeeluvr/IMG_7509_zpsf14gnvyg.jpg

The Monte Carlo carpet is about done, and is thickening up. The rotala indica has thickened, but isn't growing taller. The crypt hasn't grown a ton, but new growth is more bronze.

I want to put something in the corner other than the crypt. Any ideas?

Only issue is quite a bit of algae. I do weekly 50% water changes and clean the glass every time. The glass has a nice layer of algae after a week. Lights run 7 hours. Co2 comes on 1 hour before the lights, and off one hour before the lights.

I want to thank everybody again fro helping me set up a good co2 system. I finally have the setup I've wanted!

Great progress with this tank! Be happy the Rotala is at that height. Growth looks nice and compact. Carpet is killer. You could try another stem plant in the corner. Perhaps a species of Alternanthera.
You may have to reduce the lights to 6 hours. What ferts are you using?

Great looking tank! If the algae on the glass keeps coming back you could try increasing po4 dosage to slow it down. It might seem backward but it works.

Great progress with this tank! Be happy the Rotala is at that height. Growth looks nice and compact. Carpet is killer. You could try another stem plant in the corner. Perhaps a species of Alternanthera.
You may have to reduce the lights to 6 hours. What ferts are you using?

Thanks!

I was thinking some type of Alternanthera. Can't decide which one though!

I does flourish and iron weekly.

I've been having some issues with my co2 over the last couple weeks. It's not coming through the diffuser, and was just coming through a little at the end of the tubing. I cleaned the diffuser, and that still didn't help. I messed around with adjusting the rate of co2 yesterday and must've left it jacked up because I got home today and the tubing had blown off the diffuser and the tank was empty. I'll have to go get the tank refilled at some point this week..

Does anybody have ideas on what to do to fix this? Or have any recommendations for a better diffuser (I'm using the fluval one currently)?

I've been having some issues with my co2 over the last couple weeks. It's not coming through the diffuser, and was just coming through a little at the end of the tubing. I cleaned the diffuser, and that still didn't help. I messed around with adjusting the rate of co2 yesterday and must've left it jacked up because I got home today and the tubing had blown off the diffuser and the tank was empty. I'll have to go get the tank refilled at some point this week..

Does anybody have ideas on what to do to fix this? Or have any recommendations for a better diffuser (I'm using the fluval one currently)?

What type of filter do you have?
If you have a canister then go with an inline diffuser from upAqua or someone like that.

If you have a hob just put the pipe into hob intake.

What type of filter do you have?
If you have a canister then go with an inline diffuser from upAqua or someone like that.

If you have a hob just put the pipe into hob intake.

I just have the filter that's built into the fluval spec.

The co2 canister is working again.. Im not sure what happened, but when I went to remove the regulator from the canister so I could refill it, it clicked and the pressure gauge went back up. I hadn't touched the regulator's fitting on the tank since I first set it up. Just glad it's going again.

The co2 canister is working again.. Im not sure what happened, but when I went to remove the regulator from the canister so I could refill it, it clicked and the pressure gauge went back up. I hadn't touched the regulator's fitting on the tank since I first set it up. Just glad it's going again.

Sounds like you might have a dodgey solenoid. Be careful because if it sticks open it will gas the tank. You can buy replacement ones on Amazon or eBay. Best to get a mid to high priced one as the cheaper ones tend to stick.

Back
Top Bottom