Is my sump right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an overflow which has 2 pipes that flow down to 2 sumps that I have below my tank. One of the pipes goes down trickles through a bunch of bio balls into a sump where my protein skimmer is.

The other pipe goes down into a filter sock, hits my phosphate zorb packet, then into a sump where my chaeto is and then flows back up into the tank.

My two sumps are bulkheaded together so the water between the two mixes and meets at the return pump.

Any thoughts/issues to this sump configuration?

The reason I am asking your opinoin on this is I have thousands of little tiny white things floating around. My water is clear, its just with the halides on all these floating particles are very visible. I'm trying to get my tank clear like they have in the fish stores.

My tank is about 3 months old now, so I know its newer, but I want to get rid of these tiny white things but don't know how. My Nitrates etc are perfect, so what am I missing?

It could be micro bubbles. Try dialing down the return pump and see if it helps. Sometimes the skimmer adds bubbles to the water as well. The two just need some adjusting.

Is it particulate floaties or micro bubbles?

I *THINK* more particles. Not sure how to tell if its micro bubbles. I really think particles because sometimes in some areas of the glass I will see them.

I'm wondering if I'm over feeding my fish; they get a pinch of flakes in the morning and a cube of frozen food at night. They seem to gobble all of it up pretty fast, so I'm not sure if they're being over fed or not.

If you turn off your sump and there are still floaties then I'd go with particulate matter. What type of filter sock(s) are you using? Mesh or felt?

If you turn off your sump and there are still floaties then I'd go with particulate matter. What type of filter sock(s) are you using? Mesh or felt?

Filter sock is felt. I only have 1 in one of my sumps and the other sump flows the water through bio balls then around protein skimmer, where hopefully most of the water passes through then into the return.

How do I get the particulate matter out? Will it work its way out over time? Should I be washing the filter sock weekly?

Is the water overflowing over the top of the filter sock? Is the sock looking really clogged or is the water still flowing freely through it?

The 125g is the only tank I have so far with filter socks lol. :) But my water is pretty clear with no matter floating about. The socks for sure take A LOT of the particulate matter out of the water at least in my system.

Hope that helps....

Is the water overflowing over the top of the filter sock? Is the sock looking really clogged or is the water still flowing freely through it?

The 125g is the only tank I have so far with filter socks lol. :) But my water is pretty clear with no matter floating about. The socks for sure take A LOT of the particulate matter out of the water at least in my system.

Hope that helps....

No water isn't flowing over the top; yes it flows freely through it.

I'll try washing the sock at least once a week for a while see if it perks up.

Hey everyone,

I'm just following up to this post; If you read my first post, does it sound like my filtration has a proper setup?

I am thinking of adding a UV light to my setup; if I do, where should I add it to?

Thank you.

Another question for you all;

I am moving my 125 gallon tank into a 230 gallon drilled tank with dual built in over flows.

Can you guys point me in the right direction for plumbing; do I need two return pumps running or is 1 enough?

What is the name of the adjustable plumbing tube where you can move it up and down, and why would I want to buy an adjustable set vs. just cutting pvc to length?

Thank you.

1 return pump on the new tank. what adjustable plumbing tube are you talking about? the durso standpipe?
you could cut pvc to length, but you'll need to have some adjustment on the standpipes to make it quiet. a piece of airline tubing inserted in the pipe and moved up and down until the "sweet spot" is found (the overflows are quiet) will work. you'll just need to tape them off once that is achieved.

1 return pump on the new tank. what adjustable plumbing tube are you talking about? the durso standpipe?
you could cut pvc to length, but you'll need to have some adjustment on the standpipes to make it quiet. a piece of airline tubing inserted in the pipe and moved up and down until the "sweet spot" is found (the overflows are quiet) will work. you'll just need to tape them off once that is achieved.

Durso pipe; thats it.

btw, i cut pvc to length for my tank.

Is there any advantage to having the adjustable pipe?

IE: For water changes I am going to plumb a ball valve into a T from the over flow so that when I want to chug 10 gallons for a water change I open the ball valve drain some water out to buckets and then re fill into the sump. By having adjustable, you can lower the water in one of the sumps so as to allow more than 2 or 3 5 gallon buckets to be removed.

Back
Top Bottom