Is this really needed? LFS says yes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
This employee was trying to convince me that I needed bio-bags and a container of mixed activated carbon from marineland. He was going on and on how it will help my tank out greatly and to just fill the bag and put in in the filter.

He said he uses it on all his tanks and of course he says he has a convict tank and his water is crystal clear and attributes it to the carbon.

I think it's funny that when talking to some at a LFS if you say what tank or type of fish you have they always have the same but bigger and better and they know it all.

He was telling me it's a must! I must have it, should buy it now! I told him thank you for the information and I'll do some research more before I purchase. He then asked if I use stress coat(I do not use anything other then Prime right now)

He told me API stress coat is a MUST and my fish are gonna die if I don't use it with every water change.

So stress coat, bio-bags and activated mixed carbon I apparently need ASAP!!

Your thoughts?

No on stress-coat & carbon.

Bio-bags? like this one?
Tetra-Bio-Bag-3I-Small-2-Count-99.jpg

B you know what S.

What are you using for filter and media right now?

Carbon isn't really needed unless you need to remove meds or whatever from a tank.

I have fish that are 10 years old that thrive on clean water (regular water changes) and have never had a drop of stress coat or any other additive.

Save your money.

This employee was trying to convince me that I needed bio-bags and a container of mixed activated carbon from marineland. He was going on and on how it will help my tank out greatly and to just fill the bag and put in in the filter.

He said he uses it on all his tanks and of course he says he has a convict tank and his water is crystal clear and attributes it to the carbon.

I think it's funny that when talking to some at a LFS if you say what tank or type of fish you have they always have the same but bigger and better and they know it all.

He was telling me it's a must! I must have it, should buy it now! I told him thank you for the information and I'll do some research more before I purchase. He then asked if I use stress coat(I do not use anything other then Prime right now)

He told me API stress coat is a MUST and my fish are gonna die if I don't use it with every water change.

So stress coat, bio-bags and activated mixed carbon I apparently need ASAP!!

Your thoughts?
Well you know what they say about opinions.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't run any filter carbon on any of my tanks, and I don't know anyone who does.

And the stress coat thing is obviously wrong, it's just silly unless he was just telling you to dechlorinate your water, some people refer to brand names rather than just a dechlorinator in general since they usually only use a certain kind.

picture_117 said:
No on stress-coat & carbon.

Bio-bags? like this one?

It was empty bag, looked like a stocking. White with rope at the top to tie it. He said fill it with the activated carbon and I'd be good to go.

He was trying to rip you off, to put it mildly. Prime and a good sponge filter with a little ceramic bio media is all I have and my water's always crystalline. Carbon IMHO is a complete waste unless you urgently need to rid the tank of medications and stuff.

mudraker said:
B you know what S.

What are you using for filter and media right now?

View attachment 60331

I use these and that's it. I don't change them though. I bought them before reading how I can just rinse them in tank water during a water change. Is there something else I should be using! I have slots for 4 of these filters. And I have 2 bio-wheels.

Last edited:
KatieJ said:
He was trying to rip you off, to put it mildly. Prime and a good sponge filter with a little ceramic bio media is all I have and my water's always crystalline. Carbon IMHO is a complete waste unless you urgently need to rid the tank of medications and stuff.

Interesting. I feel like going there tomorrow and bringing up some points you guys had brought up and see what he says. I guess he figured I was an easy target. You should have heard him about stress coat. And he said Prime was ok but nutrafin something or other was far better and he said I was in luck because it was on sale. I looked at him and read the bottle and told him I would need gallons according to the directions it was a cap full per 10 gallons! That's like 4 cap full's! That wouldn't last at all! I'll stick with Prime.

You are totally fine.

Only change those cartridges when they start to fall apart. They contain a small amount of carbon, which is only good for a few weeks as a contaminant remover, but it does become colonized with BB.

Convict2161 said:
It was empty bag, looked like a stocking. White with rope at the top to tie it. He said fill it with the activated carbon and I'd be good to go.

Yeah you don't need that either. None of what he mentioned is needed.

I wouldn't bother trying to correct the guy, everyone has their own opinion, no matter how uninformed they may be. Everyone has their own particulars and there is possibly a motivation to push certain products, whether it be a certain line they carry or whatever, but who knows.

I have a big jar of carbon sittin on a shelf collecting dust.

I cut the filter pads for my Emperor 400 and remove the carbon, replaced w/poly-fill.

Enough filtration (flow and physical media) will go much farther towards long-term fish health than any carbon or carbon/ammo chips ever will.

As far as the bio-bag: no problem using 'em to hold some ceramic or other bio-media.

Oh-and stress-coat- I haven't used a water de-chlorinator in months. I do have a bottle under my 29g tank... Still essentially full, I just haven't tossed it....

Back
Top Bottom