Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Exclamation Leaking bulkhead - HELP!!

Ok, in reference to the tank I worked on last night:

Vaseline / SW question

He got into the office this morning and there was water around the sump and on the floor - not much, but any water is a bad thing when it's not in the tank or the sump!!

I wasn't there, but he figured out that the return pump hose connection at the bulkhead appeared to be the source. I happened to leave 10 feet of 3/4 ID hose there (how about that!) so he replaced the return hose, but it's still leaking. He said that the nut on the fitting was a little loose, he tightened it, and the leak slowed, but still slowly dripping.

My guess is that if the bulkhead was at all loose, all the work we did on the sump (total removal and scrub-a-dub-dub) was enough to loosen an already loose fitting, and that means there is probably some sand or dirt that worked it's way under the gasket. I plan on removing the bulkhead and cleaning it up and re-seating it, and lubing it with some plumbers silicone grease.

However, if it's cracked or damaged, I do have the bulkhead from a glass 92 corner bow that I can use to replace it. His tank is acrylic. Will this bulkhead work for his tank? Is the silicone grease OK for acrylic?

Old 12-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This one turned out to be simple. We loosened the nut somehow on the bulkhead during the 3 hour cleaning marathon last night, he tightened that which stopped leak #1, and the fitting that screws into the bulkhead for the hose connection got loosened and the teflon tape needed to be redone. It was dripping at about 1 drip every minute or so.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Glad it worked out.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com