Leaking Fluval 406

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hazarrd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently discovered that my Fluval 406 has been leaking water. It's a very slow leak, and not at all consistent. I noticed a very small puddle of water at the base of the canister a few weeks ago. I cleaned up the puddle and a few days later it was back. This happens every few days.

I just took apart the Fluval for cleaning. After reassembly, I reengaged the hoses to allow the water from the tank to refill the Fluval. After it filled up, but before plugging in the Fluval, there was a consistent amount of water coming out of both sides at the top of the Fluval near the handles. After plugging in the Fluval, the leaking stopped.

Looking for any and all suggestions on how to fix this problem.

My Fluval is around two years old. I replaced the impeller and impeller cover around 6 months ago.

It's possible it was water trapped in that area. Has happened to me before. It's more possible the gasket needs replacing. What I've done in the past is taken it off and soaked it in a bowl of very hot water for oh. 10-15 minutes. Let it cool and then put it back on but not in the pattern it came off. Usually the corners are rounded if you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

It's also possible you have a leak on the suction side. When the motor runs it will leak air into the line (you may or may not notice it periodically kicking out air).

If you stop the pump, however, it will likely shoot out a bit of water as the water settles, and maybe leak slowly. Including if you stop the pump just prior to changing water.

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom