Led vs t5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcmcoker

Aquarium Advice Activist
Planning on getting a new lighting setup and new some recommendations. I have a 36 gallon bow front 30" width. I see lots of 120w led systems on eBay for around 150.00. Would one of those be better than a t5 system if the t5 is a full 30" long vs the led that is only 16" long or does that even matter. My tank is a fowlr for now but want to make it a true reef tank ergo the lighting questions. By the way the t5 system I have my eyes on is a 30" 4 bulb 2x 10,000k 2x actinics with 2 moonlight LEDs for 100.00 on eBay

Oh and also what is meant by 90 degree lens that I'm seeing mention with all these led kits

I would get 1 120 w dimmable fixture off eBay they're on there for $118. I had t 5 and switched to these LEDs and they look way better. Plus with t5s u will need to change the bulbs every 8 months. You could get one and go without optics and keep it like 12" off the surface.

I personally like leds as I have a kessil over my 20 gallon but have heard good things about taotronics leds. The benefit in my opinion to leds vs t5 or halides is that there is no bulb replacement on leds for a while compared to every 10-12 months for the t5 or halides. 90 degrees is the angle at which the optic spreads the light. A 90 degree lens will create a larger spread than a 60 degree lens. However, if you go with a t5 fixture that is only 4 bulbs make sure it has individual reflectors or you will probably be limited to soft corals.

Leds also put out very little heat. If you go with the taotronics you will not be disappointed.

Would I have to have it 12" off the tank to get the full spread. For one I wasn't wanting to hang it, would prefer to mount it and two I was planning on building a hood for the top of the tank

Oh and one other question, my tank has a cross beam that splits the top of the tank. Should I could I cut it out to reduce shadows?

I believe they reccommend 8" off the surface because they are not waterproof but if you have a glass top you can do less I have mine at five inches. If your putting them in a hood you have to watch not to restrict the fans.

Back
Top Bottom