Lighting and flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poptarts1112

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im trying to set up a 240g saltwater tank properly so I really need your help. My first question is about lighting. I think I know the general rule is 3-5w per gallon (this is general Im sure because of par) for some mushrooms...... My question: Is that for the water volume before liverock and sand or after?

My next question involves flow, I have two 2" drains that I plan on reducing to 1.5". which will still drain 2400 gph? with a sytem of ball or gate valves for pipe #1 I plan on aprox. 200-300 to refugium, and the other 1400-1500 gph back to the return part of sump. with pipe #2 600-700 gph through skimmer and 1000-1100 gph going through carbon and live rock is this fesable to run this much flow through my sump? or does this even make since? By the way my sump is 125 gallon. with the refugium on one side the mechanical on the other and the return close to the middle. :n00b:

I always go by the volume of the tank. As you stated you already know that that rule is kind of vague but it can be used for broad application. Lighting has changed so much in the recent yrs. You have to think about Par and intensity. 3-5 watts per gallon is medium lighting and will not handle higher light corals. What are your plans for this tank as far as corals?

3-5 watts per gallon is medium lighting and will not handle higher light corals.
That being said, how many WPG would you recommend to cover higher light corals? Also, what would be a good color combination (i.e. 10,000k metal halide w/ actinic blue VHO's) would you use for a coral tank? I am weighing the pros and cons of setting up a reef tank of my own using a 55 gallon tank, and would like to do things right the first time.:rolleyes:

IMO the higher light corals need more intensity so MH`s will be needed. I use VHO`s. I HAVE 2 50/50 AND 2 Super actinic.

IMO the higher light corals need more intensity so MH`s will be needed. I use VHO`s. I HAVE 2 50/50 AND 2 Super actinic.
So I only need Metal Halides? Do I also need to use VHO actinic lighting? What color Metal halides would you suggest? For high light corals, how many Watts per gallon are needed?

I dont have MH`s so maybe someone else can help you on that but yes alot of different MH setups have actinic T5`s or VHO also.

Back
Top Bottom