Lighting fixture Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben K

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a canopy set and I am having trouble determining how many watts the current bulb is or how many watts the canopy itself can take.

It's a "Perfect a Lite" made by Marineland for a 20G L.

Any help?

Are you trying to find a replacement bulb? And dont know the wattage of the fixture it can handle?

Yeah

I am getting equipment to set up a 2 wpg planted tank. I doubt the default (the bulb that came with it) bulb is sufficient enough for a 20G L tank, though it's hard to tell as I can't even tell how many watts the default bulb itself is.

If it is a standard 30" fixture to designed to fit on the 20 gallon long (as well as the 29 gallon) tank with a single bulb it is probably a 20W lamp. The ballast in the fixture probably won't drive bulbs of any higher wattage unless you replace it. There are a number of plants IME that will grow under the amount of light you have including various crypts, dwarf rosette swords and several anubias.

How would I go about replacing the ballast? I am assuming that's the small "fuse-like" thing that you can screw out, roughly the size of a jar a enamel paint for car models? Is there any way of telling how many watts my current ballast will handle?

Back
Top Bottom