Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Lighting fixtures for 55 gallon

I have a 55 gallon tank that has LED lights that came with it. But I'm looking into adding more lighting I was thinking about using t5s because I want better lighting eventually for my planted tank. But my tank has a bracing piece that goes across he middle. So I was wondering if that means I have to buy two 24" inch fixtures to go across the top or could I just buy a 48" fixture to go all the way across even thou the brace piece is in the middle. My led lights are located on the inside on the front part of the tank. Never seen them put like that.

Lilmack07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion
If you want to use t5HOs, you can go with either option - the 48" fixture or 2 24" fixtures. Either way, part of the light is going to be blocked by the center brace, but that is ok.

Higher powered LEDs are also an option. While your stock LEDs are probably less than 1W per diode, there are very good LED solutions that will do a phenomenal job in growing plants - though they will be more costly, at least up front, than a t5ho fixture. However, the cost can even out over time since LEDs do not require bulb replacement, and t5ho bulbs must be replaced every 6-12 months or so.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Oh ok. Thank you so much! I don't want to mess with more led lights just yet because of cost and it just seems easier to find what I need going with the t5s. But thank you so much for answering my question!
Lilmack07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
not sure what you keeping in your tank, but you are always welcome to try the 2x24" LED I have.
cuz freshwater fixtures are a lot cheaper.
Looking for feedback on these LED fixtures for freshwater

You have to keep in mind, when you put in more light to your planted tank, you will need to increase the Co2 injection, this will lead to faster plant growth and you will have to maintain your tank more often. that is why most people go with LED for fresh water, they choose to do it with less output LEDs, so 1w or even less than that would work. 3W and above could result in a planted jungle in your tank if you don't maintain it often.
We Provide LED Solution For Your Aquarium..
Click the Signature for more information.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, 55 gallon, fixture, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com