Lighting for 33G long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matman1110

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just bought a new 33 gallon tank (48"L x 13"W x 13"Tall). What kind of light would you recommend if I wanted to build a reef for it? Like dual or single bulb, T5 or T8, metal halide, etc.

I don't want to spend that much either.

Thanks in advance

what corals do you intend to keep? i definitely would not go metal halide in that long, shallow tank. a 4 lamp t5 HO unit would be plenty of light for whatever you wanted to keep. one or 2 lamps would not. T8 lamps are weak and i would not consider them at all.

mr_X said:
what corals do you intend to keep? i definitely would not go metal halide in that long, shallow tank. a 4 lamp t5 HO unit would be plenty of light for whatever you wanted to keep. one or 2 lamps would not. T8 lamps are weak and i would not consider them at all.

Thank you for the timely response mr_X.

I've never done a reef so I intend to just stick to the basic corals that will be easier to maintain. Although I do like some anemones too.

i would go with the 4 lamp HO t5 fixture still. anemones like a lot of light and most people who start out wanting to keep "basic" corals either get out of the hobby, or outgrow the less demanding stuff quickly.

mr_X said:
i would go with the 4 lamp HO t5 fixture still. anemones like a lot of light and most people who start out wanting to keep "basic" corals either get out of the hobby, or outgrow the less demanding stuff quickly.

Ok thank you. Would the nova extreme slr t5 fixture work?

Back
Top Bottom