Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2006, 08:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lighting for a 180g

Since I'll be new, I probably wont be buying any expensive or high requirement corals. I do plan on having a reef with relatively easy corals. Can some suggest very good MH lighting? I checked at drsfosterandsmith and it seemed like 900 dollars is what I should expect to pay. This is the one I was thinking of:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113352

The 72" 834w option.

I would appreciate other thoughts if people have them. I want quality, but I dont want to spend a fortune if I can get by with a bit less.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're not going for high requirement corals, why the intense lighting? There's lots of easier corals you can keep under T5 florecent lighting for considerably less cost.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:46 PM   #3

I didn't know if I could get by with a T5. From what I've read (or misread I guess), the MH was required for all corals. I would much rather spend less and get a good T5 so this is good stuff to know. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have that exact one on my 125G and love it. I actually bought the celing mounting kit. If you check their prices with other's make sure you check the shipping and "extra" charges of the other sites. I paid $15.99 for shipping for that light and 270 Lbs of sand!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskidmore
There's lots of easier corals you can keep under T5 florecent lighting for considerably less cost.
I haven't done a lot of research, but I can't remember finding a 72 inch T5 lighting system.....Unless you use 2 36inch ones, but wouldn't that cut down on your WPG by a bunch?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
I haven't done a lot of research, but I can't remember finding a 72 inch T5 lighting system.....Unless you use 2 36inch ones, but wouldn't that cut down on your WPG by a bunch?
Sure it would, but he doesn't want high maintenance corals.

How much are you into DIY? You could pick up the ballasts and rig the hood yourself.

I havn't seen T5 in lengths greater than 48" myself, but you can always do two 36" fixtures. The main light loss is on the ends of the bulbs, so youf you're doing DIY, you may also consider a staggered 48" bulb configuration, to get the center extra bright instead of slightly dim. Double-36" would have the advantage of the maxium bulb density.

If you're going for a prebuilt fixture, it may pay to look at places that specialize in lighting for some cost savings.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #6

What about doing a 48 and 24? I know it might create an imbalance, but drsfostersandsmith has a 48" 432w and a 96w 24" for a total of 528w which is more than 2 36" 156w which equals 312w. How does that sound?

dskidmore,

Thanks for the advice. I have zero mechanical ability. DIYs give me headaches because I am an idiot when it comes to that stuff. My wife has to put my filters together for me. She's the builder, not me, but what your suggesting might be even too much for her. I'm not looking for perfection, so 2 36s or a 48 and 24 seems just fine for me as long as that allows me to keep even some corals.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Too bad they don't have an 8x39W for the smaller..., you're going to end up with the 48" twice as bright as the rest of the tank. Some people can work with that artistically, I can't.

Do you have a firmer idea of what you want to keep in corals? Are you willing to make compromises like having to put some corals higher up on the rock wall?

For prebuilt systems, I'd be tempted by something like this:
http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog...O-bulbs-Black/
$604.99 for 624 watts of energy efficient lighting. (2x36 is actually a slightly better bargian, and will likely have lesser shipping charges http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog...8-bulbs-Black/) You'll save in the long term on your electricity bill over the MH as well as the upfront.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #8

I think I would have a problem with that artisticallty as well. Not sure about what type of corals, probably something of the easy variety until I really get the hang of things.

The only issue I have with the links you sent me is the hanging aspect. I'd really rather have it set up as a hood or sitting on egg crate. I love the wattage, just not sure I want something hanging. I will bookmark it and keep it in mind. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by player676
until I really get the hang of things.
If you want to go for the more difficult corals later, you might just want to go for plan A so you don't have to replace this fixture later. If you're going to stick with the simple tank, the T5 will suit you well.

Look around, those T5 fixtrues I linked to are not the only ones out there.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #10

Unless I was missing something in the explanations on that site, I didnt see any that would sit on eggcrate or the braces. I'll have to keep looking. I just dont know where my tank is going yet. I also dont know if my move will be permanent or just a few years and I'd rather not have to buy a new lighting system if and when I move. That's my reason for not wanting a hanging.

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep checking out that site you sent me. I'll probably email them as well.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com