Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #1051
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about your colors in corals under led? Mine right now have little color. When I bought them they were under LEDs. And MH.. And they popped out at me.. Get them in my tank and the colors are bland.. Is that because of a poor emitter ? Or poor led?

Old 06-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #1052
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Are they growing? And by bland, do you mean less fluorescence to the color?

Old 06-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #1053
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Very minimal growth. And I mean . Luke my fix coral. When I bought it. It was an awesome brown and green.. But in my tank it's just brown. My neon candy cane was brilliant.. In my tank it's just green. Just bought an aus elegance last night.. It was under LEDs. And it was awesome with pink tips.. Today in my tank it's just green with brown.. Barely see the pink.. . Under actinics alone the all fluorescent pops.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #1054
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I may chip in with some info with regards to colors. First I must admit I am not a pro in growing corals (yet) but I know more about lights and colors. The reason why a certain object will show a combination of colors in one source of light and will display different colors under another source of light is because of the light source itself. Each color has a frequency and each type of lighting fixture will emit only a limited frequency. The object also has a characteristic to reflect only certain frequencies that are available from the source of light which our brain interprets as colors. A red object under the sun absorbs all the colors except the red. The black object absorbs all the colors while the while object reflects all the colors. This is the reason why wearing a white clothing during the summer is cooler than wearing black. If the light source has no green frequency the green object will look dull or brown.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #1055
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That is part of the rationalization for full spectrum LED fixtures. Not needed for growth, but it does IMO make the colors pop more. As said if the color isn't transmitted by the fixture, the coral cant bounce it back to your eye. One reason why actinics were popular, the higher energy blues cause fluorescence, like a black light poster does,
Old 06-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #1056
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So does that fall in with the previous comments.. The emitters in LEDs do make a difference? Or how the LEDs are powered?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #1057
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-MIK View Post
So does that fall in with the previous comments.. The emitters in LEDs do make a difference? Or how the LEDs are powered?
You have to divide the topic, as far as growth goes, total power (PAR) of the fixture and the color of the LEDs to a lesser extent control how the coral grows..at least from the lighting viewpoint.The "beauty" factor can be enhanced with certain frequencies of lighting.

The emitter make a difference in the terms of efficiency and spectrum. But as said before, even though Chinese fixtures may not be quite as efficient as a newer Cree based fixture, the cost more than makes up for it.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #1058
Aquarium Advice Addict

You must be aware that all LEDs are not created equal. Aside from their power capacity they also differ on what spectrum of light they emit just like other lighting fixtures. Some reefers say they don't care about the color of lights since they do not contribute to growth. My question is, isn't it that we love this hobby because the intention is to see the beauty and colors of the corals we are growing?
Old 06-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #1059
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
You must be aware that all LEDs are not created equal. Aside from their power capacity they also differ on what spectrum of light they emit just like other lighting fixtures. Some reefers say they don't care about the color of lights since they do not contribute to growth. My question is, isn't it that we love this hobby because the intention is to see the beauty and colors of the corals we are growing?
I think it's up to everyone as to how they want the reef to look. I like natural, so I don't emphasize fluorescence. Some want that pop that a lot of blue can give.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #1060
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I think it's up to everyone as to how they want the reef to look. I like natural, so I don't emphasize fluorescence. Some want that pop that a lot of blue can give.
That makes sense. I know deep ocean photographers like you would even use full spectrum lights to capture the colors of the deep.

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com