Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2013, 03:49 AM   #281
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think it is running at 100%, cuz it wouldn't be fair to compare a 90% LED to MH and T5 as those are only can run at 100%.

oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #282
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Yes, full power.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #283
Aquarium Advice Regular

So if they have the same result at their fullest, a dimmable LED isn't really necessary at all...
Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #284
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's necessary if you want to acclimate corals, or keep LPS and softies and don't have the need to run it at full power, or have a very shallow tank and still want the look and shimmer of LEDs, or, want to tweak the color a bit and run less/more blue than white...

Logan from ReefBreeders sent me optics and 2 royal blues to replace the reds. I'm going to post new PAR numbers after installing the optics, for those who are wondering. I'll also take a couple side by side comparison shots so you can see the spread.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #285
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Having the 2 dimmable over my tank is great. on the right I'm blasting 100% for my sps and on the left, I have mostly LPS So I have the blue at 100% to make the colors pop and the whites at 50%.

I have to say, unless I'm crazy, the lights have changed color since I got them. The first week the reds were over powering making a very distinct pink hew in the tank. The pinkness is almost gone now and the tanks is much more blue/white. I dont know why this is, maybe new LED's have a short break in period before you get the real look?

Either way, i LOVE the new LED lights over my old T5's. The growth in the coral in 3 weeks is very noticable.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #286
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since I have both straight blue/white, and the colored models over my tank side by side, I'm not getting used to it. I still see it. I've only been using the colored model for a short time, so I don't have any data on whether coral growth is more or the same with the extra colors.
I agree, that neither look bad. I just like the "crispness" of the blue/whites.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #287
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Since I have both straight blue/white, and the colored models over my tank side by side, I'm not getting used to it. I still see it. I've only been using the colored model for a short time, so I don't have any data on whether coral growth is more or the same with the extra colors.
I agree, that neither look bad. I just like the "crispness" of the blue/whites.

lol that is why I always call the red and green LED the "eye candy". It is really nothing but personal preference. I like the royal blue kinda blue which is more closer to purpleish looking. I don't like any extra color myself, however, I can see why some people like the red spectrum in the light to create balance. Especially those had freshwater and never have a saltwater aquarium before would sometiems hard to get use the super blue looking tank.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #288
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post

Logan from ReefBreeders sent me optics and 2 royal blues to replace the reds. I'm going to post new PAR numbers after installing the optics, for those who are wondering. I'll also take a couple side by side comparison shots so you can see the spread.

I would like to see the difference myself, I think it will help with which model I actually end up buying.
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #289
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paglaum22
So if they have the same result at their fullest, a dimmable LED isn't really necessary at all...
Lower power use, less heat, easy to acclimate corals with dimming, instant custom color blending with separate blue and white channels, higher penetration with optics, no bulb replacements, gradual sunrise and sunset options with some models... Not necessary at all but it's a very big leap from either MH or T5s.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #290
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've finally found a fixture that I hope suits my needs. I wanted dimmable, but not critical to have the morning/evening fade in fade out feature. I wanted it to have moonlights - just a few blues on so I don't have to DIY them separately. And even though I have an Apex Light controller, I was really happy to find it with a built in timer to control the 3 different channels - white, actinic & moon. This means one power cord instead of 3. Apex Power Bars ain't cheap! It's a "TaoTronics" dimmable body type & Bridgelux 3W LEDs, but with the timer built in. Barely used, bought on eBay and should be here middle of next week. I'll be sure to report back, even comparing some pics with the various lighting scenarios I've tried so far (over my 36G bow):

1. Stock plastic strip light fixture upgraded to 55W 50/50 CF & good reflector (A H Supply)
- Plus DIY LED strips for moonlighting, stuck in the reflector
- This looks good and is plenty for softies - light is about 1" over the water

2. Aqua Medic 250W MH 20K bulb.
- Too strong to run all day, only switching to it for a few hours mid day from the CF
- Troublesome to switch back & forth but it really has made a BIG difference in coral growth
- Heavy shadow from center brace

3. 2 x Par38 bulbs experiment
- Too much $$ for not enough light

Tags
light, lighting, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com