Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's about 7 inches above the water line. No major shadowing . The little bit on the right side is from the overflow box not the light itself . I would have hung it at 10 inches but it would not have fit inside the canopy. Also the blue are only at 50% and white is at 25% so if you do hang it at 10 inches you'll still have plenty of light .

I hear the dollars I'm saving already ...lights been on for over 4 hours and my chiller hasn't even kicked on once.my old metal halide lights would have the chiller running constantly

I have one question about these lights,I notice other units that have some kind of shields around each led whats the purpose for this?ill include a picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 93
I have one question about these lights,I notice other units that have some kind of shields around each led whats the purpose for this?ill include a picture

The are called optics. They focus the lifht into a beam. Mine are 90degrees but you can get 120 down to 45 i believe...

Reefer4eva said:
Any chance to they shield the light? My living room is blinding.if so where can I buy them?

No. It just focuses the light more downward to get a deeper penetration but that sacrifices light spread. It's great for deep or small tanks tanks. it works like a flashlight with the beam focused to a smaller area.

Sorry I'm new to this led thing,I did a lot of research as far as optics go.so I think with my setup (which is a 34 solana) going with a 90 degree would be perfect.i have my lights hung 10 inches above the water line on a 20x20x20 tank,anyone know where I can buy them?i seen some that have the double face tape adhesive on the optic holders this would be perfect

How many led pendants will i need to stretch over 100 gallon tank, 6 ft by 18" by 18"

How many led pendants will i need to stretch over 100 gallon tank, 6 ft by 18" by 18"

Depends on which fixture your talking about,in my opinion I would go with 3 but that also depends on what kind of coral you are housing

I have one on my 34 which measures 20x20x20 and its more than enough you might be able to get away with two with a little shadowing on the sides

Its not a very deep tank, i might get two, then get an al sol or radion. To supplement the middle of the tank. Its 18 inches deep and tall.

Ive heard of issues with that problem exactly! If i do go that route im gonna build a canopy about 14 inches tall to house the leds

Alright guys im ready to purchase some in the next few days, just wondering from anyone who has bought VIA ebay. If you purchase them with optics, are they easily removed if I choose not to use them? OR What should I be looking for.

I know i need 3 fixtures as my tank is 72x20x20 and im going to be going for the Whites/Blues only. I was thinking I may end up emailing the guy at reef breeders for a cost to ship to Canada but I might end up going the ebay route. Either way just like to know what style of optics I should be looking for.

Your going with 3 over a 6 foot tank? Sounds like ill be able to do the same. I know some ebay sellers ship from the usa to canada. And i wouldnt have a clue about the optics. I think they come installed and thats that. If your going with 3 on that tank, 90 degree or 120 or 130 would be good optica 90 probably the best bet

Back
Top Bottom