Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So here's what I've got.. I'm thinking maybe the meter is off.. Maybe not... Tell me what you think..

Ok.. The white line is showing from my tank.. The colored lines I'm guessing is your control. Because they don't move... My lux is reading 1000.. Looking that up its saying basically its an overcast day

.. These readings are 2" below the top surface..
What's your opinions?

Here is a pretty standard MH spectrum compared to the sun using a high color temperature bulb . Note how much energy is in the red spectrum, generating heat.

Attachments

• image-946770658.jpg
    image-946770658.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 86
Mine is all in the blue .. And slowest declining... So these lights are bright... Just have no spectrum... Is it because the light is spread out like 120 degrees?

So here's what I've got.. I'm thinking maybe the meter is off.. Maybe not... Tell me what you think..

View attachment 179247

View attachment 179248

Ok.. The white line is showing from my tank.. The colored lines I'm guessing is your control. Because they don't move... My lux is reading 1000.. Looking that up its saying basically its an overcast day

What's your opinions?

The way I interpret your graph is that you have 2 light source or readings. The heavy colored and the lighter colored. The white curve is the average of those 2 curves.

I'm not sure how it reads.. There is no directions.. But I can turn both of the colored lines on and off.. The white line is what moves around.. But looking up lux. It says that in the 1000s is like a cloudy day.. Reading over 10,000 is like a cloudless day.. Mine is what 3000... I don't know how accurate seneye is tho.

I think the thick line is color for the corals. The thin line is color to the nekkid eye..

I'm not sure how it reads.. There is no directions.. But I can turn both of the colored lines on and off.. The white line is what moves around.. But looking up lux. It says that in the 1000s is like a cloudy day.. Reading over 10,000 is like a cloudless day.. Mine is what 3000... I don't know how accurate seneye is tho.
What kind of lighting fixture are you measuring?

Green doesn't travel that deep... neither does red. I don't think green light is realistic at all in a reef.
I don't have a LUX meter, but if your meter measures PAR, what is it telling you?

Last edited:
The par reading up top was only showing 100.. And very low at the bottom. The lights are a good 10" from the surface.. Earlier the lights were around 5" and par was over 250.. And 100 at the bottom..

Yeah. But that's not the case now since i moved tge light up.. But. I should be getting my Taos in the mail hopefully today.. Pending FedEx gets the package out if Tennessee.. Been sitting there for 3 days.. What are you getting for par mrX with your Taos? How high are they sitting. And what % are your lights on?

I have the first generation, non-dimmable models over my 300, So they are at 100%.
In the back tank I'm using one with just the blues on, at 100%. I posted PAR numbers in this thread somewhere. :ermm:

There's over 1000 posts in the thread.... That will take all day from my phone...... Lol

img_2511362_0_e78dfff1a9b3fd49022f10870cc01c04.jpg

That's with the Taos? That's awesome!! I'm more excited to get mine now!! Oh and I love the chairs in front of the tank!!

That's with the Taos? That's awesome!! I'm more excited to get mine now!! Oh and I love the chairs in front of the tank!!
Yep. It's the Taotronics straight blue and white models. That's 3 over a 7' tank. I now have 4 over an 8' tank that's 6" shallower.

-after I stone that wall, I'm going to add a little bar in front of the tank, so you can enjoy your beer, and the aquarium. Just a 12" or so overhang at the bottom of the tank. :D

View attachment 179247

View attachment 179248

What's your opinions?

Here is the answer to your question about the Seneye Spectrograph.
1. The thin colored curve is the sensitivity of the human eye to colors. If you notice it peaks on green and yellow. It dips down on blue and red. This curve is fixed and the same to all units.
2. The heavy colored curve is an ideal curve for an efficient lighting fixture. It gives you a guide to follow. It is also fix and the same to all units.
3. The white curve is the actual reading from your lighting fixture. It may change minimally as you move around your sensor but your PAR, LUX and Kelvin readings may vary significantly.

Back
Top Bottom