Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man I would love to see your tank setup but that would be a long drive.... A few thousand miles probably....

Hundreds maybe not millons lol unless you plan on going around the world a time or two:lol:

maybe if I ever get back to the east coast I could get a tour of your tank two X (y)

I have a 6 inch one of those lights it's over my 37g it's just ultra blue leds
not a bad light considering how small it is wish it had a dimmer on it
I use them along with 4 HO t-5s now I got spoiled I have the Chinese leds over my 40b
look so good Now I have to get another

I find that most of the dull looking corals we hear about with these fixtures are from lack of proper acclimation. IME, it takes months to get a coral to color up to it's full potential under these particular fixtures, no matter if you use a RB or similar fixture with multiple colors, or a straight blue and white one.
Some LPS just can't handle the fixtures at full strength. I am growing montipora and keep anemones under a Tao fixture with just the blues at about 80%. Turn it up any higher and the anemones hide.
Even going from one LED unit to another, potency differs.
I have a 250 watt halide fixture set up over one of my sumps with a 20k lamp in it and The same corals look 100 times more colorful and more florescent under the Tao units I am using.

I have to agree with you ,... A few of my newer corals did not show their true colors until after a couple of months in the tank,.... As stated a zillion times before things go slow in a saltwater tank....

It's only been a few days on the new Taos . And the colors have popped like crazy!! And all my corals and even fish. Look so much happier now!! I'm going to have another Tao to go over my 55!!

Which brightness do you have the blues and whites? Seems like some of the zoas in the sand aren't opening up and I've had them for a while.

In running between 50-75% on white and 80-100% on blue.. Been toying with the brightness to see what is working the best. Have you checked your params lately?

I haven't. Been slacking I've been so busy. Doing change tomorrow when I'm off hopefully they perk back up. Everything seems a little eh lately since I got the lights but its a week overdue for a change so well see what happens. Also, I have 40% whites and blues running right now

Could b salinity.. I put my lights at 65% white and 100 blue and my corals look amazing today!! Never seen my elegance and brain corals so huge and full of color!

I did just get my ato in sync so the salinity is a little low but it's still above 1.020 it will be adjusted over the next week so I don't shock anything. It was steadily at 1.026. I didn't wanna turn the lights up so much because I didn't want to burn my corals. When they white it means not enough light and when they brown it means too much right?

I've backed my 2 units down to 50% over my 55. 1 units not enough to cover the tank but with the 2 I was bleaching things out when they were turned up. Having trouble finding just the right intensity for these to really be right for everything in the tank. Wish I could find a par meter to really know what I'm blasting into my tank...

Possibly. It's the zooxanthellae leaving the host for one reason or another. In many cases it's lighting or lack thereof.

Just got my new 40g running and loving the maxspect razor 120w. Ran about 400$ but has a built in controller and comes with a bracket mount and a hanging mount.

Attachments

• image-42738570.jpg
    image-42738570.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3483593721.jpg
    image-3483593721.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2143134005.jpg
    image-2143134005.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 105
I backed my white to 50 and up to 100 on blue. And my corals are thriving in color and size! I know I said it before. But man I'm loving this setting! I'm going to check par levels tonight. I never seen so many polyps on my one leather. And it looks like me devils hand leather is opening up more now too. I'd post a pic. But my phone only pics up the blue

Back
Top Bottom